+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default *spin off* Do you put together your kids Lego or do they?

The Christmas assembly thread got me thinking about Lego.

How do you see Lego? Do you see it as a toy that your child puts together and then plays with? Or do you see it as something you put together for your child to play with?

I know it depends on age, but I always just thought that you don't give kids Lego until they can do it themselves with minimal parental input and that was part of the attraction for them (and the parents). BUT, then I've come across quite a few people that put their kids Lego fully together for them, or do at least 50% of the work. I'm not sure if it's cause their kids find the Lego hard (maybe it's meant for 'older' kids - eg. a 6yo doing a kit for 7 - 12 yo's), or maybe it's just cause the parents love Lego a lot too .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    lol I was going to start something like this.

For us...Ds and DH do it together...but we didn't get it until DS was ready for it and could do 90 % of it himself.

If the parent has to do it...the present is for them and not the kids..the kids are clearly too young for it and imo they should be bought something age appropriate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The rule here, is I'll put it together (as per the instructions) ONCE.

If she pulls it apart, I don't care, that's not my problem. She can work it out from that point.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS has always put his own Lego together. We see that as kind of the main point of it. DP usually supervises to make sure DS is following the book and doing the steps right...when DS was younger DP would assist DS but DS knew to follow the steps in the book.
    It doesnt matter what the Lego eventually builds....I rather enjoy seeing the other stuff DS makes out of it once he gets bored of what its supposed to be and pulls it all apart.
    He has a massive box full of Lego and I just love seeing his imagination at work and seeing what he makes. My friends child is the same age and they build the Lego then put it on the shelf as 'displays' and it doesnt get pulled apart EVER......thats fine if thats how they choose to do it but I much prefer the way we do it.

And yes, DS has Lego to open tomorrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I have been wondering the same thing. If id got my lego already assembled as a kid i would have been annoyed as half the fun is building it.

My girls aren't quite old enough for lego but when they are it'll be given in the box it comes in

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

The only point to Lego in our house is putting it together. As soon a it's finished we admire it for a minute and then pull it apart. DD has no imagination and has no interest in playing with whatever the finished product is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I just let DS make whatever he likes with it. He is 5 and can build them according to the instructions, but he gets the most joy out of creating all sorts of different structures. It can keep him busy for AGES, I love it.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: *spin off* Do you put together your kids Lego or do they?

We don't have Lego yet, but I won't be taking the fun/learning opportunity away from her. Dh on the other hand may lock himself in the room with out so he doesn't have to compete for it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Anyone who assembles Lego before gifting it to someone obviously doesn't understand the concept of Lego..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tannedangel For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (24-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    The rule here, is I'll put it together (as per the instructions) ONCE.

If she pulls it apart, I don't care, that's not my problem. She can work it out from that point.
    This is what we do