+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Angry Vent - SIL gave me stained dirty used baby clothes

SIL1 (DH sister) knows DH been TTC more than a year now but I dont hav the heart to tell any of the ILs we are having trouble conceiving. She's got 2 kids, and when her 1st was born, SIL2 (DH's brother's wife) gave SIL1 bags and bags of hand me downs in good nick, most of them still tags on. SIL1 now wants to get rid of the baby clothes, she wont have any more kids. I am not one to not accept hand me downs - really appreciate their value, but I DO expect them to be decent standard. When I opened the bags, nearly ALL of them have drewl and spit stains, have pulled yarns, are discoloured, overworn, and pulled out of shape. I found 1 half good outfit in all the bags

What hurts me is that back in the day she got all the nice stuff of SIL2, now I am given crap. I could've known beforehand. She washes with homebrand detergent. And it sh**s me too that all the beautiful little dresses and other expensive outfits DH and I ever gifted her are not even in those bags. It almost feels like she's given the nicer stuff away to her friends and gave her own brother and me the crap. MIL now behaves like SIL1 has done us a world of favor and 'she is so generous'.

sorry just a rant I know DH's family cannot be trusted our counted on, never have been.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So the clothes have already been through 3 kids? Honestly I wouldn't have expected them to be that great after that much use. If you gave her some special outfits she might have kept them for sentimental value. I know there were some of DD's that I just couldn't part with so they are in her baby keepsake box.

Sorry you are feeling cranky and disappointed

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (25-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    That wouldn't even faze me... just donate the clothes to a charity. If they are in poor condition they will be bagged and sold as rags.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't dream of giving away stuff that was in such bad condition, she could have at least told u I guess how bad it was. I assume if dh is ttc then u are too...? .I understand how such things make it worse when u feel u have missed out on yet something else because of failure to conceive......maybe tactfully give them back to her or just throw them out and mention that they weren't fit to wear .

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jfblady72 For This Useful Post:

Alicia92  (24-12-2012),Mom2TwoDSs  (25-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have both received clothes and then after using them donated them on.

I always looked at it from the perpective that any clothes I was given and was able to use were a bonus. It meant less clothes to buy. I didn't have any expectations as to the quality. Kids can be really rough on their clothes. You can always use them as 'round the house' clothes and buy better ones for going out. I either turfed or donated the ones I didn't want to use.

When I pass them on I cull the really rotton ones, but if something has a couple of small marks on it but is otherwise ok, I might still put it in to be used as painting clothes etc.

By the way, if you have yellowish stains on them - soak them in nappy san for a couple of days. I found with my old clothes that even though they were washed and looked clean before I packed them away a couple of months later there were yellow stains. I think it might have been breastmilk?? Anyway, comes up fabulously with nappy san.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gizmo For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (24-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not defending her at all but I was shocked on the weekend when I pulled out my DD's baby clothes in prep for #2. I'd washed and stored them in airtightvacuum bag things 18 months ago. I got them out and found they were all yellowed around the necks (def weren't that way when I stored them I'm sure) so I gave them all a good soak in napisan and a hot wash and all look 500% better.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (24-12-2012),Missbean  (24-12-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (24-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Snap! We must have posted at the same time :-)

Love napisan! Hahaha, and now I know how to spell it . . .!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gizmo For This Useful Post:

Mmumm  (24-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vent - SIL gave me stained dirty used baby clothes

I can see why you are upset OP. Whilst any donation is to be appreciated, I wouldn't be happy getting clothes that were in as bad condition as you state.

I'm in the process of getting DS1 clothes out in preparation for DS2 arriving soon - so same family even and I'm still putting aside the really stained clothes for charity/rags!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (24-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Vent - SIL gave me stained dirty used baby clothes

Same Karen! Jaspers clothes were in space bags and turned yellow

Maybe she's kept all the pretty things as keep-sakes?

Honestly I'd not be too concerned. Maybe just check before you toss them out.

***though I can appreciate being disappointed if I was going through a big bag and thought there'd be heaps of things and turned out they weren't usable.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Last edited by Boobycino; 24-12-2012 at 13:57.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Mmumm  (24-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I was also going to mention the stains- I have packed away perfectly clean baby clothes only to find stains all over them next time I look. They all come out with napisan.

Unfortunately if you are 'last in line' with babies it naturally does mean that if you get hand me downs they will have been through afew kids, they're not doing it just to spite you! I don't know why this means they can't be trusted.

By the way what's wrong with home brand detergent?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (24-12-2012),Mulva  (24-12-2012),NurseAnni  (24-12-2012)