+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Discrimination or ??

Hey all, I'm hoping for some perspective on this situation..

I am a legal secretary in Brisbane. I started work at the firm early may, pay reviews are done end of June so understandably I didn't get one. However my boss had said to me that he'd spoken to the managing partner and the finance manager and it had been approved to review my pay before Christmas.

5 weeks ago I told my boss I'm pregnant and will be going on maternity leave in may. Now my review hasn't been done and I can't help but think this has something to do with it.

I'll be going on mat leave in may so I'll have been there 12 months and I intend to return in January, so by the time I come back I'll have been with the firm 20 months. I can't help but feel that this situation is really unfair as if my pay isn't reviewed now I'll once again miss out next year because I'll be on mat leave.

I'm definitely going to approach it with my boss in the new year, I'm just trying to figure out where I stand in the meantime (no point trying to out lawyer a lawyer without knowing my rights)!

TIA :-)

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

That's a hard situation to be in as it puts stress on you having to ask for it, instead of them giving it to you.

Hopefully they have just got caught up in the holiday season and will speak to you first thing in the new year!

It always make you wonder whether you being pregnant has anything to do with it!!!! I hope not then it does look like discrimination.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Unfortunately you don't have any actual legal rights. I don't suppose you have anything in writing about the end of year pay review?

I have worked in HR in a top tier law firm for a few years so am familiar with their practices. Unfortunately sometimes things are promised by individuals that then don't get approved further up the line.

It could be to do with your pregnancy but it could just be one of those things as well. I think you'd find it hard to prove they had changed their mind due to you being pregnant. But it's definitely worth discussing with your manager and seeing if they can make it happen.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just posted a thread that I was discriminated against after coming back from maternity leave. I did not have the opportunity to have an appraisal / pay review whereas everyone else in my department did. The only difference between myself and my staff members is that I had a baby and I was working part-time while taking care of my baby therefore according to management not entitled.
    I've been consulting HR & my manager signed off on it as "meets tasks" without my knowledge and now I'm taking it further.

You should definately follow this up with your HR department sooner rather than later. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Also - you won't miss out on next years review! You should definitely still get that as its reward for the previous 12 months, not the future, iykwim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

The answer should be in your firm's agreement or your contract. Generally it's spelled out clearly at which stage pay increases can happen. At my work, the pay reviews are done yearly and the pay increase doesn't go up until 1 July regardless of when the review is done.

Every organization is different. However, in my case, my work did a pay review for me and 'closed off' my performance review for the financial year before I went on mat leave. That meant that come 1 July, my pay went up, even though I was on mat leave.

Maybe just book in a time with your boss in January when things are a bit quieter and discuss when he sees you having that pay review.

I hope it all works out for you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Discrimination or ??

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSS View Post
    That's a hard situation to be in as it puts stress on you having to ask for it, instead of them giving it to you.

Hopefully they have just got caught up in the holiday season and will speak to you first thing in the new year!

It always make you wonder whether you being pregnant has anything to do with it!!!! I hope not then it does look like discrimination.
    Mrss I hope you are right and everything will work out in the new year

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Unfortunately you don't have any actual legal rights. I don't suppose you have anything in writing about the end of year pay review?

I have worked in HR in a top tier law firm for a few years so am familiar with their practices. Unfortunately sometimes things are promised by individuals that then don't get approved further up the line.

It could be to do with your pregnancy but it could just be one of those things as well. I think you'd find it hard to prove they had changed their mind due to you being pregnant. But it's definitely worth discussing with your manager and seeing if they can make it happen.

Good luck!
    Kw I don't have anything in writing but my boss (equity partner) had already gotten approval from the managing partner and head of finance to review my pay early so I don't think its a matter of it being an empty promise.

Quote Originally Posted by alufolie View Post
    I just posted a thread that I was discriminated against after coming back from maternity leave. I did not have the opportunity to have an appraisal / pay review whereas everyone else in my department did. The only difference between myself and my staff members is that I had a baby and I was working part-time while taking care of my baby therefore according to management not entitled.
    I've been consulting HR & my manager signed off on it as "meets tasks" without my knowledge and now I'm taking it further.

You should definately follow this up with your HR department sooner rather than later. Good luck
    Thanks alufolie - I shall look up your thread! Good luck to you too, sounds like you need it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lock and Lu View Post
    The answer should be in your firm's agreement or your contract. Generally it's spelled out clearly at which stage pay increases can happen. At my work, the pay reviews are done yearly and the pay increase doesn't go up until 1 July regardless of when the review is done.

Every organization is different. However, in my case, my work did a pay review for me and 'closed off' my performance review for the financial year before I went on mat leave. That meant that come 1 July, my pay went up, even though I was on mat leave.

Maybe just book in a time with your boss in January when things are a bit quieter and discuss when he sees you having that pay review.

I hope it all works out for you!!
    Thanks lock and Lu - unfortunately its not as simple as checking my contract (which states June next year) as in august this year my boss called a meeting with me to tell me he didn't think it was fair for me to wait until next year and that he'd already had approval from the appropriate people to review my pay early.

I'm hoping in the end of year rush it is just a matter of too much to do too little time, however its still left me feeling a bit sour.

Thanks for all your help, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub