+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Actual cost of building a granny flat

Hi all,

DH and I are buying a house early next year. Only problem is we need a granny flat or second house on the land for my mum. Most properties with this available don't really suit our needs or what we want. Does anyone know the actual full cost of building a granny flat/small dwelling? Trying to see if it would work better to buy a house that suits us, and build a granny flat.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Actual cost of building a granny flat

We've looked into those shipping containers and work site dongers. We've found them to be between 15-20k depending on what you want, not including power and water installation.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I have been looking at pre-fab ones and most are $98-140k plus site costs which could be any where from $6-37k for us but depending on location and service availability it could be more for you. As with anything it depends on how big you want to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Depends on loads of stuff such as accessibility to sewer, electricity, water mains from the street and site accessibility. Are you building yourself or will you need trades for everything? Will it be completely self contained? Just connecting to a sewer which might not be accessible could set you back around $20,000.

I would think around $100,000 if you need to get all trades in to do it.

I would also look at whether the granny flat will add value or whether an extension with a wing would be a better idea. Depends on life style too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They can really vary depending on what you want ... a studio, a 1 bedroom unit with or without a kitchen, a 2 bedroom unit, etc, etc. You also need to make sure you're allowed to build a granny flat on the property - some properties have caveats on them that you can't build a granny flat (eg. some new housing estates).

My SIL's mum is building one for her mum at her house and I don't know how much it cost but I know it's taking a long time (over 6 months so far and not yet finished).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Bunnings are selling one bed granny flats for 20k, than you have to connect to power, water and sewerage

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (26-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks everyone! Yea I think the cost would depend on what the land itself is like and what needs to be done so that a granny flat can be built. I might talk to my dad, he had one of those kit homes built on his acreage a few years back. I was estimating around the 70k, for everything, but just wasn't sure.
    I won't have to worry too much about trades, except water, sewer, and electrics. My dad is a builder, my husband and brother-in-law are roofers, and everyone else in my family are quite used to building/renovating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I worked out if we built a self contained 1 bedroom it would be 50-100 depending what exactly we do and what we do ourselves. We are on tank and sewerage here so connecting isn't a issue

Thanks
    Reviews

As someone else said make sure you can build as some properties also have sewer lines etc.
    Just a left ball question but does it have to be a detached granny flat? Could you look at other options like houses that could be built out underneath? Or convert a garage?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by us3 View Post
    Thanks everyone! Yea I think the cost would depend on what the land itself is like and what needs to be done so that a granny flat can be built. I might talk to my dad, he had one of those kit homes built on his acreage a few years back. I was estimating around the 70k, for everything, but just wasn't sure.
    I won't have to worry too much about trades, except water, sewer, and electrics. My dad is a builder, my husband and brother-in-law are roofers, and everyone else in my family are quite used to building/renovating.
    Sweet that will keep your costs down a lot.
    Buy materials from renovators auction or other auction sites.
    Things like kitchen, bathroom, building materials can all be bought at a fraction of the cost.
    You could do it for way under 70k but it depends on how muh you are paying for labor.