+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Won't sleep at night time

Hi, seriously sleep deprived so sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere. My little boy is 5 days old (yes, still very early days, I know ) and while he sleeps really well during the day (I breastfeed him, put him in his bassinet and he sleeps for a couple of hours no probs) after about 9pm he feeds, appears to be really drowsy, but when I put him down he wakes almost instantly and will not be resettled...he mouths at his hands and bobs around on me looking for my breast, all I can do is feed him again. I've tried shushing, wrapping, patting etc and the best I can get out of him is a 10-20 minute sleep before he's awake demanding a feed again.

Got home today after my c-section, I've barely had any night time sleep (literally 1-2 hours at best each night in 20 minute blocks) and getting sleep during the day is hard - impossible at hospital as i kept being disturbed by the nurses/drs and equally difficult at home as I have two 5 year olds. I have DH at home for 2 weeks, what can I do to get my baby to settle and sleep better at night time...even an hours sleep after each feed would be bliss!!

Thanks,

T

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Try to keep it light and fairly noisy during the day and quiet, dark and no talking at night. It will help him to figure out his days and nights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hi trixie I'm so sorry you are so sleep deprived you must be so exhausted you poor mummy. Have you talked to your Heath/clinic nurse? They may be able to give info or Point you in the right direction. Hope you find some rest soon

Another thing do your other children start school or go to kindy next year or child care or do you have family or friends who could watch the 5year olds so you could catch up on sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: Won't sleep at night time

I'm sorry to say it sounds like your bub has day and night mixed up a bit maybe? My youngest was similar and it took us until around 5-6 weeks to sort it out.

Can your DH take him for a bit if he doesn't need a feed, to let you get some sleep?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I had this with my DD, she's onky3 weeks now but last week she did this. I started putting her to sleep in the rocker out in the lounge so that she only associated the cot with night time sleep and was out in the lounge amongst the daily sounds during the day, and now she sleeps almost all night . Someone on here suggested it actually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I would put baby in bed with you and try and learn to feed lying down. I had emergency c-section 5 days ago and that's what I do.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Won't sleep at night time

I know how difficult that is. My ds would scream from about 9 pm til about 2 am when he was a newborn. I know its awful but it will get better..he just needs time to work out his night from day (I hated hearing that at the time). All you can really do at this age is as pp has said keep things bright and noisy during the day. Hopefully now you're at home you can get into a better routine.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone...so glad I'm home so DH can help out, doing this by myself in hospital was hell! I tried feeding the little man in bed last night but we couldn't get the position right and his nose kept getting squashed by my breast, so I'm just not comfortable doing that. We're going to try patting and shushing to get him well into a deep sleep and hope that we'll get some sleep out of him. We're also going to make days more obvious - it's already light and noisy during the day but we'll make sure he has some awake time after feeds so he's hopefully less inclined to want that awake time at night. Not sure how we'll go but we'll give it a try. Managed to get a couple of hours sleep today so I'm feeling slightly more human!

thanks for your advice, I'll let you know how we go!

T

Thanks
    Reviews

Pretty sure my baby did this for at least a few weeks - sorry crappy answer but things may Change
    Dramatically once you're in your own home - give it time

Thanks
    Reviews

Have u tried bedtime music - u can play it for daytime and night time sleeps - u can even hire cd's from the library if u wanna test it Out first or copy it onto your iPod. Try something like 'music for dreaming'