+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraH80 View Post
    This. Geez, why are people so concerned about other people's feelings when it comes to what is best for you and YOUR child? It should be as simple as "thanks but I'm going to comply with today's safety standards."

Hmmmmm. I think it's called manners and maintaining good relations!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Izy View Post
    accept it all, and then dispose of the dangerous stuff and tell her that when you went to clean it, it fell apart/tore etc
    This is what I was going to say. It means you take it, don't have to use it, and it doesn't stay at her place for her to use when babysitting *shudder*

I have to admit before I read the thread I thought there is nothing wrong with some 2nd hand stuff - like a high chair or a sling. But a 20 year old mouse poo covered mattress? good lord

She seems like a sentimental person, I am too so I identify. But what you list is just downright dangerous and unhygenic.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Izy  (22-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Tactful ways of refusing secondhand baby equipment...

Quote Originally Posted by Izy View Post
    accept it all, and then dispose of the dangerous stuff and tell her that when you went to clean it, it fell apart/tore etc
    Yep this. Is it worth completely destroying a relationship over furniture?

With car seats - just say that you took it to the ambos to install and they wouldn't cos it was not safe enough/legal etc.

Or ask them to keep it at their place for sleepovers etc. Just don't use it very often.

My FIL restored dh's cot for my girls in his spare time. That was his way of showing he loved them. They spent 3nights in it and he is a happy man.

It's hard when you know what you want for your bub but as long as it's not downright dangerous - humour them. You never know when you will need them to help out!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Izy  (22-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    This. Geez, why are people so concerned about other people's feelings when it comes to what is best for you and YOUR child? It should be as simple as "thanks but I'm going to comply with today's safety standards."
    Bc this MIL while offering stuff which isn't appropriate, clearly has a deep sentimental attachment to this stuff. These were the items HER babies used and she wants to pass it down. Now I'm not saying for a moment she should use a poo infested mattress just to pander to her MIL. But the OP seems to care about her MIL's feelings and that's admirable.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (22-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Bc this MIL while offering stuff which isn't appropriate, clearly has a deep sentimental attachment to this stuff. These were the items HER babies used and she wants to pass it down. Now I'm not saying for a moment she should use a poo infested mattress just to pander to her MIL. But the OP seems to care about her MIL's feelings and that's admirable.
    If she cares about feelings (hey, guess what, so do I) she needs to politely decline and MIL will have to deal with it. What about OP's feelings? If she doesn't feel the items are appropriate why should she be guilted into taking them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    If she cares about feelings (hey, guess what, so do I) she needs to politely decline and MIL will have to deal with it. What about OP's feelings? If she doesn't feel the items are appropriate why should she be guilted into taking them?
    No one has said she has to use them Just that these items, while completely un-usable are important to the MIL so people are suggesting how she can not use the items but save her feelings - win win

Thanks
    Reviews

If you have someone handy in the family, you can always convert the old cot into an art desk (google it). She might be appeased that you are using one of the items.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ItWasntMe For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (22-12-2012),Izy  (22-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't think it's a good idea to take the items and then destroy/dump them. She might find out and that would be more hurtful than just politely declining her offer (as she is so attached sentimentally). Plus she might like to offer them to another relative instead.

I think that a lot of paternal grandmothers worry they'll be left out when baby comes along as its usually the maternal grandma who gets to spend more time with the baby and new mum, so maybe just make an effort to include her and let her know she is an important part in your baby's life!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mother in law is a bit crazy-hoarder and has kept stuff over the years like this. More I think because her kids dislike her and she holds onto these things in an effort to convincer herself it's not her fault. But thats a separate issue.

Anyway she's tried many many times over the years to get us to take this stuff. After the millionth time I eventually just snapped and said I didn't want her stuff and that she needs to either throw it out or accept that she's keeping it forever.

My point is that by pussy footing around this issue now its probably not going to end. This time its grotty old baby stuff. Next time grotty old toddler lathes, then grotty old something else.

If you and your partner both agree then it's best to nip this in the bud. You dont have to be mean. But just be honest and say that in fact its you that wont take no for an answer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Tactful ways of refusing secondhand baby equipment...

Quote Originally Posted by ItWasntMe View Post
    If you have someone handy in the family, you can always convert the old cot into an art desk (google it). She might be appeased that you are using one of the items.
    That's a lovely idea - I'd look into that too.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub