+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How much do you earn per hour? What industry are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Thanks for sharing you experience 1crazymoose - it made great sense.
    Phew lol after my novel of a post I was starting to question whether it made sense or would create more confusion lol. Thanks Pegasus.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm a dog groomer and work on 60% commission. Works out to be about $40 an hour. But i also work at another Salon where i get an hourly rate of $28. Not making as much but less bookwork etc and dont have to see in/out customers and also working with very experienced groomers so i feel like im 'growing' by working there.

I used to be a vet nurse on about $19 an hour. The reason for my change was clearly largely based on the terrible pay rates.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    Selection criteria is just a bunch of well-put together words.

You should feel confident, yes- but that will be apparent in the interview.

Selection criteria can be a crock.
    In my experience, the language used in the selection criteria is required for report writing.

I loathed receiving new staff who had addressed the selection criteria well, presented well at the interview, but I often had to rewrite their reports as they weren't written using the correct jargon... which they had displayed fluency in with their application.

I know the company I worked for now gets applicants to fill it out right before the interview, on the spot.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Kiplusthree  (23-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    In my experience, the language used in the selection criteria is required for report writing.

I loathed receiving new staff who had addressed the selection criteria well, presented well at the interview, but I often had to rewrite their reports as they weren't written using the correct jargon... which they had displayed fluency in with their application.

I know the company I worked for now gets applicants to fill it out right before the interview, on the spot.
    I tend to agree. Writing selection criteria just takes practice and some guidance. If you aren't able to answer selection criteria, you probably need to brush up on your writing skills.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Kiplusthree  (23-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Re: How much do you earn per hour? What industry are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by rhoda View Post
    I'm a pathology collector (phlebotomist) and I earn $20.85 an hr with 7 yrs experience!
    I thought they got more per hour, not sure why but i did as its something i am thinking of studying to have a back up career for myself.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

However, once you factor in that FIFO workers get a heck of a lot more annual leave where they do 0 hours for the week (No other jobs I know of get more than 4weeks a year annual leave), they do get a much greater hourly rate
    I guess it depends on the roster? My partner works 4 weeks on, 2 off and over the course of a year works about 10-20 hours a week above the average work week of 40 hrs, with 4 weeks annual leave. So really depends on the roster. He's on salary so gets the average 4 weeks leave.

Thanks
    Reviews

All I was saying is that most jobs give 4 weeks annual leave a year. Not all jobs in the mining sector work 12 hour days 7 days straight. Certainly the people doing 90hours a week (which works out to 13 hours a day 7 days a week) are putting in more than their fair share of hours which means their equivalent leave per year is not necessarily more than the 4 weeks that everyone else gets.

However, there are people who do work FIFO and do nowhere near the hours of 84 or 90 hours a week.

I think it all depends upon which industry the worker is in
    It really depends on the roster. My fiancé used to do 21 days on (12 hr days) 7 days off but has switched to 28 days on 14 off but he still works on average a longer work week.

Even time rosters are prob where more annual leave might apply. Most I know just get the standard 4 weeks a year.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    All good - been adressed in the thread - seems some get approx 4 weeks leave a year, and some get more. I certainly hadn't meant to suggest that FIFO don't earn the money they do if that was what was taken away from my earlier post.

A PP had asked about the rates that FIFO get and the issue of tax came up. The fact is that FIFO get other allowances so that the hourly rate is skewed. I'd questioned about leave (given that some workers work different swings).

1crazymoose answered this one well, quoting many different swing examples.

I always found it interesting that when I graduated uni, I got a better rate per hour working casual rates in a shop (Target), and so continued to work at Target for about 2 years after graduating uni (until I moved to a rural town where there wasn't a Target).

The problem was that once I got to the top rate at Target, there wasn't anywhere else to go, in the profession I'm in (with my undergraduate degree), I can continue to negotiate my salary given my experience.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post

This I agree with also. Time after time I have heard employers mention how much they don't go for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Self employed/general manager $60.90