+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How much do you earn per hour? What industry are you in?

Nursing is same
    6 weeks annual leave
    But have to do weekends and up to 7 days in row
    $34 mon-fri
    $51 sat
    $60 sun

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Pregnor View Post
    How do FIFO workers get more annual leave?
    Hubby is in the mines and he gets more holidays also. Due to his roster he actually only works 6months a year broken up and is about 140k per year with super paid and bonuses added to that.

How his roster is set up gives him option to take more then normal annual leave. For instance if he works week 1 and 3 but has week 2 rostered off. And decides to take week 3 off as holiday leave then he doesn't just get 1 week off as such. He is having week 2,3 and 4 off and being paid for all and only using 1 week of leave. I think they also accrue more due to the hrs they do? My husband does 12hr days.

Not really sure how it works to be honest. But he definitely gets more time off then when he didn't work in the mines and he gets paid a lot more (considering he only works half the year)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    However, once you factor in that FIFO workers get a heck of a lot more annual leave where they do 0 hours for the week (No other jobs I know of get more than 4weeks a year annual leave), they do get a much greater hourly rate
    It's not that they get 'annual leave' on the swing off. It's that they work 90 odd hours a week on the swing on! So it averages out. FIFO is bloody hard work! For both the person up there and the family at home. Definitely not a walk in the park or easy money!
    Also teachers in WA get 12 weeks annual leave in their contracts. But I know most teachers will do some prep work etc during these weeks anyway!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    they dont really get that much extra time off though. my husband works 2 on 1 off. Essentially he misses 2 weekends, then gets them all plus one day extra at the end of a swing. Considering he works 84 hours a week while hes away, its not really more time off IYKWIMl. He does get 5 weeks annual leave.

However many FIFO workers are paid purely for the hours they do and dont get annual leave.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    How do FIFO workers get more annual leave?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsicle View Post
    It's not that they get 'annual leave' on the swing off. It's that they work 90 odd hours a week on the swing on! So it averages out. FIFO is bloody hard work! For both the person up there and the family at home. Definitely not a walk in the park or easy money!
    Also teachers in WA get 12 weeks annual leave in their contracts. But I know most teachers will do some prep work etc during these weeks anyway!
    All I was saying is that most jobs give 4 weeks annual leave a year. Not all jobs in the mining sector work 12 hour days 7 days straight. Certainly the people doing 90hours a week (which works out to 13 hours a day 7 days a week) are putting in more than their fair share of hours which means their equivalent leave per year is not necessarily more than the 4 weeks that everyone else gets.

However, there are people who do work FIFO and do nowhere near the hours of 84 or 90 hours a week.

I certainly agree that FIFO is very hard on both the worker and family life. Conditions have changed a lot over the years. When I was a child, my dad was FIFO, he used to do 2months on, 2weeks off (or something similar).

I'm not sure about teachers, I know lots do lots of work on their leave time (not sure if it would equate to the same hours as they'd do during term), and some don't do that many hours in their holidays.
    they dont really get that much extra time off though. my husband works 2 on 1 off. Essentially he misses 2 weekends, then gets them all plus one day extra at the end of a swing. Considering he works 84 hours a week while hes away, its not really more time off IYKWIMl. He does get 5 weeks annual leave.

However many FIFO workers are paid purely for the hours they do and dont get annual leave.
    I think it all depends upon which industry the worker is in
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 22-12-2012 at 21:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I work in admin for a NPO and get about $23 hour. I've been there 11 years.

I'm jealous of many of you!!

Thanks
    Reviews

There are soooo many different rosters in fifo.

You get:
    5on 4off 4on 5off (husbands roster)
    2 weeks on 1 week off
    4 weeks on 1 week off
    11 days on 3 days off (hubby's old roster)
    1 week on 1 week off
    3 days on 1 day off 4 days on 3 days off
    4 days on 4 days off
    Etc. most though are 12hours.

It all depends on the location, the type of job you do and what mine/company you work for.

The penalties also vary, some are self employed and contracted to the mine which charge themselves out at a set rate and with that pay them selves their own penalties (holiday pay, super etc). Others are employed by the mine as a standard employee and get the bonuses, double time, holiday/sick/personal pay. Others are salary based regardless of hours. Some mines pay more per hour but don't have penalties so every hr is a set price even if it's gone over 8 hrs. Others start paying you time and a half and double time after the 8hrs but your hourly rate is less (but still works out more on average). So really it's such a diverse setup. There are too many different setups, contracts etc to say what's more or what's less.

All I know is that yes being a wife of a fifo worker who work 5on 4off 4on 5 off with two children and another on the way and no support can and is sometimes very difficult but it's also a lot easier then when my husband worked 6 days a week in construction 12 hr shifts but home every night.

I do love his job, he loves his job and we are thankful he is in the mines. But it does have its moments all the same.

So yes it greatly depends on where they work, what their job is and who they work for.

As some say they don't get that much extra time off. For us it's different. Going by my husbands roster he does actually have 6 months off a year. So the average person working 5 days a week has 104 days off a year (weekends) my husband (due to his roster) has 183days a year off (79days more then the average person) but he works longer hours 12 not 8 which equals 43days. So he is still actually having 36 days (just over a month off) more then the average 9-5 worker and being paid possibly more because of the penalties. Does this make sense? It's also good because we get bulk time together when he is home which is nice. If he worked 8 hrs a day doing the same profession outside of the mines he actually would earn half of what he currently does and work the 36 days more.
    Last edited by 1CrazyMoose; 22-12-2012 at 22:16.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (22-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

About $34.35/hr as an Accounts Manager.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks for sharing you experience 1crazymoose - it made great sense.

Thanks
    Reviews

I work in admin and am on a salary, but it equals to $25.30 an hour. I've been with the company for just over four years. I started on $20.something an hour, but I was only 20 years old then.