+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tradey etiquette?

What do you do when you have tradies at home? Offer tea/coffee/drink or food or something else?

I have a bil sparky and plumber so basically haven't had a Tradey before but we are having 2 air cons installed on the weekend and I'm not sure what the norm is!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If its just a quick job, no if they are there half the day I will offer tea or coffee or a cold drink...

Thanks
    Reviews

We are renovating so I've had lots of tradies here over the years, I've never offered them food or drink lol I never really thought about it, I figured they would bring their own drinks. I usually just stay out of their way and ignore them lol my MIL and FIL however offer them a three course meal and know every detail about their lives by the time they've finished!
    I think there is no right or wrong just whatever you feel like doing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Offer them a drink and let them know where the toilet is... then stay out of their way.

That seems to be what DP (electrician) prefers. Those who keep pestering him with food offers just make him feel he HAS to eat, and make the job take longer (cos he stops to eat), and those that want to watch/chat/ask questions... well, yeah, it's like trying to do something with a toddler hanging around nagging at you. lol.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Offer them a drink and let them know where the toilet is... then stay out of their way.

That seems to be what DP (electrician) prefers. Those who keep pestering him with food offers just make him feel he HAS to eat, and make the job take longer (cos he stops to eat), and those that want to watch/chat/ask questions... well, yeah, it's like trying to do something with a toddler hanging around nagging at you. lol.
    Exactly this. DH is a cabinetmaker and though he's friendly he really hates it when people hover and want to chat all the time because it takes
    Forever to get the job done. Let them know where the toilet is, offer them a drink and leave it at that. They won't expect food, and might feel like they have to say yes.

Another thing.. About the hovering. Kids and dogs are the worst for it. DH has often come home and said the family dog wouldn't leave him alone (some have sat and watched him while growling!) or, a small child who shouldn't be near construction and tools for safety reasons keeps trying to touch the tools or talking to him while he's trying to concentrate. Allowing them a peaceful place to work is the most appreciated thing!

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Tradey etiquette?

I have offered drinks which were sometimes accepted. Never thought about showing the loo, and they never asked (it was a week long job)... Then I saw one of the apprentices weeing on the fence in the corner. Ewww!

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I always offer a cuppa and bikkie/cake/fruit

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always offer a drink, if they accept a tea or coffee I will always give them a biscuit. And let them know to just ask if they would like another as I will stay out there way. If its an arvo job most likely their last job I will offer a beer once they have finished or just about finished.