+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How much is normal to express?

My bub is nearly four weeks old. She hasn't gained as much weight as doctors would like. She has a complex heart condition that causes her to tire easily while breastfeeding so she's not getting enough before she is all tuckered out! Anyway, I'm still feeding her then I give her a top up from a bottle. This is the advice from her paediatrician and cardiologist.
    Anyway, if I pump after I breastfeed her I get anywhere between 45mls - 90mls combined from both breasts. I understand its normal for it to fluctuate. I'm using a hospital grade pump.
    I just want to know if that's normal? Do I have enough milk?
    I'm topping her up each feed about 45mls. I've only been pumping for three days. I'm worried because I don't want to switch to formula just yet, I really want to continue the breast milk at least until her first surgery in January.
    I'm wondering what was normal for others early into pumping and while still doing some breastfeeding.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry Im ducking out right now but you might find some helpful info here http://kellymom.com/category/bf/pumpingmoms/ or you could call the ABA on 1800 mum 2 mum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have breastfed two bubs, and pumped a lot at various times. To me that seems to be a fantastic amount for pumping directly after a breastfeed.
    Good on you, it must be very hard work, and a very difficult time for you.

If you need more milk for some reason you might consider waiting an hour after a breastfeed and THEN pumping, your boobs will have had time to generate more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thanks. I had wondered about waiting an hour or so. I've looked up that website too. Thanks ladies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

As mentioned in a previous post the Australian breast feeding association is a wealth of information about all things breast feeding, including expressing. https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-...ing-breastmilk

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    I have breastfed two bubs, and pumped a lot at various times. To me that seems to be a fantastic amount for pumping directly after a breastfeed.
    Good on you, it must be very hard work, and a very difficult time for you.

If you need more milk for some reason you might consider waiting an hour after a breastfeed and THEN pumping, your boobs will have had time to generate more.
    Thanks for your tip. I'm actually now waiting during the day an hour or like you said and I seem to be getting more!
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: How much is normal to express?

I found if i expressed one side while feeding on the other, it would just flow out.
    I just had a manual avent one but could easily fill a whole bottle or more during a feed.
    Maybe this would be worth giving a shot?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I found if i expressed one side while feeding on the other, it would just flow out.
    I just had a manual avent one but could easily fill a whole bottle or more during a feed.
    Maybe this would be worth giving a shot?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Good idea but not sure I'm coordinated enough!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Agreed. Expressing while feeding can be great. Also, expressing after a nap.

As for how much. I know some ladies hat can't express a drop, but bf successfully. Then at one stage I was getting half a litre or more in a pump session (had a huge oversupply issue but milked it, lol, when back at work and donated my spare)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    TamTam, so sorry to hear about bubs condition. Hope the operation she is having will be good on her.

I think 45 to 90ml after bfg her is fantastic. The more you pump the more you will get so keep it up and stock it away in the freezer. And resting will give you more milk. Lots of water too now in summer.

Unfortunately for me the max I can ever get if I pump diligently 3 hourly round the clock is 30-40ml...very demoralising and doesnt justify the effort I put in...and that is the amount without having baby latch on. So I now only pump twice a day and latch on baby as often as I can esp when I feel a let down. But my bub is already 10 weeks. Even at 4 weeks, I never got what you are having so I would say you are doing well. Just dont stop what you are doing and you should be fine.