+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Belly Measurement?

I'm 30wks 3days, went to my midwife appointment yesterday and she measured my tummy to be 31wks instead of 30, of course my due date hasn't changed. But i was just wondering what that means, does it mean i just have a big bub? And does it mean she may come a week earlier?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That just means your fundal (uterus) height is 31cm. Fundal height is ideally mean't to be 1cm for every week you are, so at 30w fundal height should be 30cm (with a 'normal' range of a couple of cm either side). It's extremely common to measure ahead or behind though, and lots of different factors can affect fundal height. It's not necessarily a good indication of bubs size, and measuring ahead doesn't mean you'll go early. I always measured 5-6cm behind, was sent for growth scans due to worry of a small baby/ slow growth, but there were no issues and DS was born 8 days over a healthy 7lb.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 21-12-2012 at 11:34.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

AceAri8  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 33 weeks measuring 35 fundal but growth scan shows baby is measuring 37 weeks and 97th percentile.
    My sister is all legs & short waisted, fundal height was at 45 when she was full term but her bubba was only 3kg and apparently she didn't have excess fluid - so who knows really.
    All I know is I'd be happy if this baby arrived a few weeks early as I'm overheating, ha!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh okay, would be lovely if it meant she was coming earlier, i am starting to get that impatient feeling haha. I guess i only have about 9wks left, it will fly by. Yeah i certainly don't feel like i have a small baby, my belly doesn't even look big for 30wks.. it feels small to me, that's why i was wondering why i measured a week over.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Belly Measurement?

DD measured huge and was only 7lb. I am now 38 weeks with a baby boy and measuring 42 weeks fundal height. I don't put much faith in its accuracy.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Belly Measurement?

They can be very inaccurate with some women. Can sometimes indicate if you have alot of fluid. Both my pregnancies my fundal was so far ahead then what it should have been. With DS2 at 32 weeks pregnant my fundal height was 40 weeks lol. I was sent to hospital for a ultrasound straightaway. My boys though were both over 10lbs each.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Belly Measurement?

I was 31 weeks and only measured at 26cms. Dunno what it means but I'm glad I'm not huge. Lpl

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Hey there I was measuring a week ahead with DS for the whole pregnancy with him and he came out 8lb 1oz not very big, don't stress all will be good until this week I was measuring a week ahead too

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Spelling error

Since the midwives first measured me at 26 weeks I have been measuring 4 weeks ahead.. Doctor has scheduled an ultrasound for next week to get a weight estimation but I'm not worried. I am 33 + 3 weeks today, and at my appointment last Tuesday I only measured 2 weeks ahead..

Could be many factors, could be baby had a growth spurt and is slowing down now so I've caught up (I've put on almost no weight at all in the last 3 weeks) most likely it's because I was a curvy girl before I even got preggers, so had some belly to begin with, and that is in the way, giving an inaccurate measurement.

It's really only a rough estimate, and if they had any worries, they'll send you for an ultrasound.

*UPDATE*Had my scan, baby showed as being on the bigger side, around the 90th percentile, and scanned 2 weeks ahead. I had my 37 week check up this week and the midwife measured me, and I came up at 37 weeks, so baby seems to have evened out for lack of a better term. I've only put on about 2kg's since the week before Christmas, so I guess bubs is slowing down. I have a scan next week though to see how he/she is progressing.

So again I wouldn't panic too much over the fundal measurements, they are just an indicator, not an exact science.
    Last edited by Beckpatton; 08-02-2013 at 00:01. Reason: Update

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't think it means much. For my last pregnancy, the ob measured (fundal) as being small, a week later had a growth scan and they said the baby was measuring large for dates. The scan measurements are more indicative and accurate for measuring how big baby is.

This pregnancy I went in at 29 weeks and the ob measured fundal to be 32wks but didn't sound too concerned.