+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Active/Calm birth

Please help! I am so confused about my options regarding birthing classes...

I am pregnant with my first bub and am after some training regarding active birth. I just want to be as prepared and informed as possible. I am not against drugs, I have no idea what it will feel like nor how I will react during birth but I aim to stay and be as active as possible. So really after relaxation techniques, birthing positions, etc

Because DH works over wkds, I have struggled finding a course that could accommodate us

In the end, I found a midwife that could come to our house and would teach us hypnobirthing. I just received a book that we are supposed to read to prepare ourselves to our first session.

We have started reading the book and all I can say is that it is not for me/us at all. I am quite down to earth and this seems to be a little more for earthy ppl if that makes sense (the book is called "Orgasmic Birth"). I am about to cancel the course as we don't feel comfortable about it all.

Do you think I should just buy a book like Birthing Skills or Active Birth and just go with that? Additionally we could attend a Lamaze class...
    I start wondering if maybe this all active birth thing is not for us at all

Cheers
    Lili

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Active/Calm birth

Yeah you have to take some of that stuff with a grain of salt, IMO. I read so many books, and regarded all the different methods as tools I could use in labour. For both births I used hypnobirthing at the start of labour, listened to my guided meditations and went into myself. Then as it ramped up, I used focussed breathing and more active birth methods to counteract the increasing pain. While I was in transition I switched vocalisations (ie loud loud yelling/bellowing LOL). So personally I don't think any one method is going to get you through the whole labour. Take what you need from each method, disregard the rest and remember that you don't know what you'll use or need in labour. I always thought I would get in the bath/shower but I didn't want to for either labour. Have you read Juju Sundin's BirthSkills? I found that much more practical than some of the hypnobirthing stuff. Go to the library and borrow all the birthing books they have, then you're not spending heaps of money on stuff you don't know if you'll find useful.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (21-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Active/Calm birth

I second the recommendation for Birth Skills by JuJu Sundin. I found it really practical and helpful. When I gave birth I felt like I had a really clear understanding of what my body was doing at each stage, how different techniques might help and just did what felt right for me.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Electric Boogaloo For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (21-12-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I read a hypnobirthing book for DD's birth. It helped because it allowed me to not be afraid of labour thus starting a fear-pain-fear cycle.
    The things that helped me to have a great birth were:
    - normalising birth by watching great homebirth videos on you tube
    - having midwifery led care and continuity of care
    - having an active labour so I could do as I pleased during labour
    - staying at home for as long as possible
    - count through the contractions, if they last 30 seconds you know that by the time you get to 15 it's all downhill
    - Have bags packed so no need for planning at the last minute.
    - Think that every contraction is one step close to meeting my daughter and another one over with.
    - Most importantly, have every faith in my body and mind that I could birth my DD without intervention, drugs, constant monitoring etc...
    And it worked

I didn't make it to a shower but that was just circumstances but I believe that is also a very good technique.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Active/Calm birth

Subbing

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know what you mean about Calmbirth - I am very practical also and find the whole calm breathing thing a bit hard to take ( I just finished the course) . However I am totally going to try and give this a go. I had a great labor for my first and a terrible labor in my second and I am willing to try ANYTHING to avoid the loss of control ( mentally) that I felt when I had DS. Both where natural, no tearing and no intervention but still extremely different experiences mentally.
    I am also reading the birth skills book and I am going to try and take both sets of skills into this labor with me so I have a whole list of options available to me at the time. I would have said that Calmbirth was not for me if I had not had the experience of my second. Once you lose control in labor - start to panic, feel overwhelmed it is extremely hard to get that focus back and I really do think the calm-birth techniques will help at that stage. My advice is learn as much as you can so you have a whole range of options to you - you never know how you will cope in birth and if you want a natural birth then the more options you have the better. I also would worry that if you had a long labour - like 30 hours plus using the Birth Skills techniques would exhaust you so by the time you came to pushing you would just not have the energy ( I have also heard that from midwives I know...I am a nurse myself). Good Luck!