+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Shingles

Hi girls. So I have shingles but I'm past the worst. In fact I didn't know it was shingles - I thought it was mozzie bites as they appeared at same time as I got bitten. Anyway I know you can't catch shingles only chicken pox.
    And I've read that people can still only catch if they actually touch fluid from the blisters ( which have dried up now). The only thing is 3 people in my family are in early pregnancy and there's a couple of young children. They r really scared and it looks like they don't want me to be around on Christmas Day. Can anyone shed some light for me? Can they catch chicken pox in pregnsncy even if they've had it before?
    Also is there a pregnancy ingine I can ring for advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When I had shingles, I had a clingy toddler that I couldn't keep away from me, and she caught chicken pox from me ... then gave it to everyone else (including my breastfed baby who didn't catch it off me).

I think if you keep the lesion covered, you should be fine to not be risking others ... but the biggest problem is their piece of mind. And even though you may not be a physical risk to them, there is the emotional disturbance of them being worried, because I am certain that no amount of reassurance on you part will alleviate their concerns.

I think it might be best to stay away and not cause them worry. However, if you do strongly want to be part of festivities, then perhaps going to the doctor and getting him to write a letter might be your best means of reassuring them.

PS: I still wouldn't get involved in anything that would involve risk of direct transmission, such as swimming or a game of tug-o-war.

KtKing is offline The same sun that melts the ice hardens the clay. The difference is the nature of the material.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Shingles

My dad had shingles a couple of weeks ago and the doctor told him to stay away from me for only a week after being diagnosed. When I spoke to my OB/GYN she said it would be fine as I have had chicken pox before. If you are concerned speak to a GP or call that 13 Health number. They should be able to tell you for sure. From what I understand they are only contagious for the first couple of days.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Shingles

Thanks girls. Well I've had them for over a week and very almost gone. I've already got a dr appointment on Monday so that she can advise me what to do.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Shingles

I had them while preg and doc said u can only catch but touching the fluid that comes from blisters.
    I would just cover up the rash if still there.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Shingles

My brother had shingles when we were younger and none of us got it off him so I do think if you cover it and don't swim you'll be right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH has had shingles twice this year and neither DD or I have had chicken pox. As others have said its the fluid from blisters to be careful of, keep them bandaged and wash hands a lot!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Shingles

They've scabbed over and gone dry anyway so I should be ok.