+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What's involved in breaking a lease?

So we still have 3 months remaining on our lease, but are having to move interstate in 10 days.

What does breaking the lease involve? I imagine we would keep paying the rent until they find another tenant or until our lease runs out?

Are there any other costs involved?

Also, is there any implication for future rentals? Like, does it go on your record that you broke a lease?

Im trying to figure out whether I should just pay the lease out in full or whether it's worth breaking it.

I'm in qld, if that helps

TIA!

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

In NSW, you pay rent until they find a new tenant or the lease is up - whichever comes first.

I also paid one weeks rent as a 'break lease fee' as well as $18 for the lease preparation once they found a new tenant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In QLD you pay relet fee which is one weeks rent and then you pay rent until a new tenant is found, or the end of the lease. Also, they are able to charge you advertising fees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check the law in your state because many agents charge "fees" for breaking a lease when it's actually illegal in some
    states.
    You will have to pay rent till they find someone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

We have just broken our lease. We too have 3 months left.

For us we had to fill out a form for the RE, then they listed the property immediately. We have also listed it ourselves.

We have to continue paying rent until the lease ends OR new tenants are found, whichever comes first.

Costs involved are rent (obviously) and we have to pay an extra week rent as a "break lease fee".

Thanks
    Reviews

I got charged a $750 fee and had to pay rent until new tenants were found (luckily that was pretty quick) I had 8 mths remaining.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

In QLD as in NSW it is legal to charge breaking of lease fees ( or letting fees) plus advertising costs - only if it is stipulated in your lease - the reason agents charge you this ( usually first weeks rent) is because this is what the landlord has to pay them for finding a new tenant/lease preparation/advertising/inspections/bond preparation/in going/outgoing reports etc
    so as you are breaking the lease early and the landlord has already paid this fee when they found you it's only fair you have to pay the fee for the new tenant as you are the one breaking the lease early

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone.

Elijah's Mum, I've actually just realised that we never re-signed our lease, so we may not be in lease at all. The real estate contacted us when it came due, and I sent an email saying I was willing to re-sign for another six months, but they never sent the paperwork out so we never officially signed it.

Do you think the email I sent where I responded 'yes' to the agency's request that we sign a new lease counts as a binding agreement?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

No - unless you actually re signed then you are still on your old lease which means its easy to give notice and you won't have to pay any fees! I think it's only 14 days notice you have to give in QLD - try find your original lease and check the date!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the old lease says 3 weeks notice if out of the lease period ... We're definitely out of lease because we only signed 6 months and that was in April.

Yay!!! That saves me almost $4k!!!

Thank you so much for your help - I didn't know whether the email meant anything.