+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cas

Our son was diagnosed earlier than three. However he has been in weekly speech therapy sessions since he was 18 months of age. At the beginning it was very much an elimination process, where we started a program similar to what you would use for an autistic child (based on reward etc) this obviously did not work, as he could not form any sounds. Over time the diagnosis became very clear. He is now 3.6years old and he is a text-book posterboy for CAS.
    The good news is, with the right direction and regular speech therapy we have come so far! we have lots of words and sentences. The longer the sentence or the word, the muddled it all does become though. We have used the nuffield program which has worked best for us. The use of hand cues has meant that rather than sitting down for formal "homework" we practise throughout the day, emphasizing and highlighting the different sounds as we speak.
    I will also add, that Isaac did see an OT once a month for a year. Her focus was concentrating on Isaacs "sitting muscles". His OT was fantastic at putting my mind at ease that there was nothing further to worry about. An additional bonus was that her own son has CAS.
    Goodluck with your journey, sometimes it seems so unfair and feels like you aren't getting anywhere - but soon those days will be behind you.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default hi

Hi to everyone in this thread. Thanks for all the useful information in your posts. Our little boy nearly three has been diagnosed with suspicion of CAS. We have been seeing a SP since he was 2 but it has only been the last couple of weeks when we have been doing intense SP therapy privately that they mentioned CAS. It was good to read your posts to know where we stand and what things are useful in helping them develop their speech. I am going to purchase the books you mentioned on here just to help with my understanding of the condition. We are using Makaton signs which have been a great help in allowing our son to communicate with us and others without getting too frustrated. We find our location also limits our access to support services so nice to have this forum to discuss ideas with others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi All, My son at 21 months looks to have CAS. I have done all the reading and we are starting sign language at home. We had an initial session with a SP and will start ST next week. I was wondering how many times a week did others do ST? Did the rate change over time? On a cost point of view, if we need years of ST what cost could people claim via Medicare or did anyone get any government assistance? We have started with a private SP which our health cover will cover some of for a short while until we reach the limit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a friend with 4 children all who have Dyspraxia. All still in primary school or younger. I have seen them all improve tremendously with treatment/therapy and the oldest is near the top of his class without an aid now so I just wanted to say stay positive as u can get through this.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Suspicion of CAS

Hi hope you are having a lovely week. It was so great to have found a forum with parents going through the same things we are. Our nearly three year old has recently been diagnosed with suspicion of CAS. We for a long time knew something wasnt quite right with his speech and had been seeing a speech therapist. He main focus word for everything up until a couple of months ago was 'AH'. We were told by so many people that he wasnt talking as his older brother (by 17 months) was talking for him (complete chatterbox). He would get easily frustrated when trying to express himself.
    We are now seeing a speech therapist weekly in person (private and public) and using Makaton signing which has improved his ability to express what he wants. After reading the threads here i ordered the Speaking of apraxia book for parents which i highly recommend. It just looks at so many different ways of aiding speech for my son. It also helped my partner understand.
    The other books that i have ordered and read are the first sounds series. www.firstsoundseries.com my son absolutly loves these books and we have 10 mins a day put aside for reading a couple (he wouldnt sit down for any longer).
    Also on facebook, I am part of the APRAXIA kids Every child deserves a voice page (American) as they have alot of valuable suggestions as couldnt find one here for Australia.
    It would also be great to be able to get advice from you guys on what things have or havent worked with your child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,
    My son has been seen through the public system which I have been extremely happy with and as a bonus it is, of course, free. He has fortnightly sessions which run for an hour and we have been doing this since he started SP. I have been told that we may have to increase this to weekly appointments in the next year or so to help with sentence formation.
    Unfortunately, even with a diagnosis of a speech problem, there is limited financial assistance from the government if you're seeing a private SP. My daughter saw a private SP (for a different issue) and from memory we were only allowed 5 or 6 sessions a year that were medicare rebatable and you have to get an enhanced primary care plan form filled out by your GP to be entitled to these sessions. Depending on your level of private health insurance again you may be entitled to a maximum of 6 or so sessions a year. Not much help when you may be looking at years of pathology Perhaps you could look into your public health system (not sure what state you are in)...there will be a waiting list but might be worth getting your son on the list now. They will look at the level of difficulty he has and prioritise him based on this.
    Good luck with everything!! My son is now 3 years and 2 months and is starting to string two words together. We can understand a lot of what he is saying to us now which is wonderful. So although progress is slow, there is definitely progress!
    Best wishes,
    Sam

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3 tomorrow

Hi again, I keep forgetting to come back here to check the thread as I don't use Bub Hub anymore. Is anyone interested in starting up a support group page on Facebook for Australia? I find there isn't much support around that I can find in Australia.

My guy is 3 tomorrow! We are still making very slow progress.

We saw a new Speechy a few weeks ago, and her first thoughts from the assessment was dyspraxia. We have our next appointment in a few weeks and she said we'll talk more about it then. We go to private ST, so I've been going monthly. They've given me lots of good strategies (repetition/games, sign, picture cards) but progress is very slow with speech - new words/sounds. I've been up and down emotionally for the past 4-6 weeks, as some days I get very worried and upset for him as he gets older. Up until now he's pretty much gotten away with not talking, but now as he gets older, it's getting harder. But then I have to remind myself, that other than speech, he's a happy and healthy boy who's comprehension is there 100% and who does TRY to communicate with us via sounds & jesters.

Our new ST has put us on the waiting list for the public system so we can get more regular sessions and therapy from here to school. I'd like to do weekly sessions but it's just too expensive in the private system.

I'm looking up the First Sound series, thanks :-)

Let me know your thoughts about communicating through Facebook instead - we could create a closed group.

Bel

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by belindap View Post
    Hi again, I keep forgetting to come back here to check the thread as I don't use Bub Hub anymore. Is anyone interested in starting up a support group page on Facebook for Australia? I find there isn't much support around that I can find in Australia.

My guy is 3 tomorrow! We are still making very slow progress.

We saw a new Speechy a few weeks ago, and her first thoughts from the assessment was dyspraxia. We have our next appointment in a few weeks and she said we'll talk more about it then. We go to private ST, so I've been going monthly. They've given me lots of good strategies (repetition/games, sign, picture cards) but progress is very slow with speech - new words/sounds. I've been up and down emotionally for the past 4-6 weeks, as some days I get very worried and upset for him as he gets older. Up until now he's pretty much gotten away with not talking, but now as he gets older, it's getting harder. But then I have to remind myself, that other than speech, he's a happy and healthy boy who's comprehension is there 100% and who does TRY to communicate with us via sounds & jesters.

Our new ST has put us on the waiting list for the public system so we can get more regular sessions and therapy from here to school. I'd like to do weekly sessions but it's just too expensive in the private system.

I'm looking up the First Sound series, thanks :-)

Let me know your thoughts about communicating through Facebook instead - we could create a closed group.

Bel
    Hi bel

I would absolutely be interested . My son has autism as well as suspected verbal dyspraxia or (CAS) . Different people call it different things :-)

He is 3, non verbal , understands so very much but can't say a single word :-( he too babbles and makes lots of sounds and communicates non verbally through gesture, pointing , leading me to things, bringing them to me , or just plain crying , I know his every sound and look and body language , I always know what he wants 90% of the time but my heart breaks that he can't speak :-( the worry for him about his autism and dyspraxia is endless , I too fund as he is older and so much older looking than 3 it's really standing out how very different he is to other children his age . Anyway would happily be on a fb group . Pm me anytime

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Facebook group

Hi I would definitely be interested. Kate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Bel, I am interested in a Facebook support group. My son (22 months) is just going to start ST next week so I will be after tips and ideas. The american http://www.apraxia-kids.org/ has been great for information but Oz mums with the same issues would be great. There is a site http://www.dyspraxia.com.au/ and they have a facebook page but it is for ADA members only. I found another facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/205208419541057/ and have joined that. Maybe I can find some mums here in Adelaide.