+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Childhood Apraxia of Speech (Speech Dyspraxia)

Hi, my son presented very early with verbal and oral Dyspraxia very early on... Over the years he's been in ST since 14 months etc etc... Anyway, long story short he's now 5 with a Aspergers Dx, a speech phonological disorder and stutter. He still has problems doing things such as licking an icecream and tires very quickly when eating (low muscle tone and fatigue). His speech however is intelligible these days by most people but only when IN CONTEXT... The minute he starts talking about his favourite toys or something that happened a while ago, alot of people have trouble understanding him.

Anyway, I've been where you are and it can be a lonely ride. Here if you wanna pm me :-)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Lathlainmum  (24-12-2012),lilypily  (20-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Childhood Apraxia of Speech (Speech Dyspraxia)

I was always led to believe (from research) that dvd is the term used here on Aus and Apraxia or speech is American?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your post!! I'm very lucky in that my son "just" has verbal dyspraxia with no oral dyspraxia or autism/aspergers. Sounds like you have been down a long hard road already. I know my son and I have a lot of work ahead of us and it's great to know there are people like you out there to support us. Thanks so much, and likewise I'm here if you ever need to vent/chat etc!!!
    Hope you have a great Christmas
    Last edited by Lathlainmum; 24-12-2012 at 00:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there...does anyone know where I can get a copy of "Becoming Verbal with Childhood Apraxia" by Pam Marshalla?? I can order through amazon but I was quoted arrival date of mid February for normal shipping (from US) and I'm keen to get hold of a copy sooner. Anyone know of an Australian source to buy through??
    Thanks and Happy New Year!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I'm new to this but joined specifically to chat to mums like you! Our little one was also diagnosed with CAS in December. She's 2yrs 8 months. I've found a good book 'Speaking of Apraxia - a parents guide to CAS'. It's written by a mum and is full of great info. The book depository website has it and does free delivery!

i was quite surprised by the lack of apraxia posts up here when I searched and the lack of information/support groups in general in Australia when I started looking. So as we have similar aged kids going through the same (or as is suspected until told otherwise) it would be great to keep tabs on here.....

Our SLP told me about a great app (if you have an iPad). It's RIDBC key signs. Free too . A few every day essential words with small video clips of the sign. My daughter has been quite receptive and the first one she decided to copy after going through a few was the sign for 'love'. A few self indulgent happy tears were shed!!!! Now every time I open it up she signs 'love'. Signs are never to replace the speaking of the word but I hope it helps ease some frustration which we are inevitably going to face.....

It is going to be a journey so please don't hesitate to keep in touch and I'd be happy to share any info/strategies I learn along the way too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, great to hear from you.

Thanks for the info re book and iPad app. I have heard of the book but now you have recommended it I will purchase....can't get enough information at this stage!! I have ordered "Becoming Verbal with Childhood Apraxia" but haven't received it yet. I'll let you know if it's useful. Will also look at the iPad app you mentioned. I have bought the NACD home speech therapist app ($6) which my son is enjoying. It's all about repetition, repetition which seems to be the key word I have been hearing since our diagnosis! We have a great SP but I find Tom is not as attentive at home as he is during the formal sessions. I guess he can tell the difference between our normal play and our "speech" play!!! Anyway I've found the iPad app useful as it is something novel and keeps him focused on the task for 5 minutes or so.

Our SP has highly recommended the Makaton signing approach. When I first heard her mention signing I was quite against it as I didn't want Tom to rely on signs and thus make less effort in his speech learning process. However I am converted!! As she pointed out it gives Tom the opportunity to make people aware of his wants and needs and thus reduce the frustration for him. And my goodness is he getting frustrated!!! So he can now sign hungry, drink, help and come....very, very useful. Makaton signing incorporates verbalising the word as you are signing it so different to sign language developed for the deaf. It gives little ones like ours the opportunity to let us know what they need but also the chance to attempt verbalising it. So when Tom signs that he needs help he also makes an attempt at saying the word help.

Is your little girl your first? I have a 4 year old daughter who has age appropriate speech level and although this is a helpful in some ways (she adores her little brother and tries to encourage him) it is also a further source of frustration for him. When they play together she tends to dominate things as he can't contribute verbally. I have noticed him taking his frustration out physically lately by throwing things and getting in quite a bad mood when he can't get his thoughts across. Not quite sure how to handle this yet!! Difficult as discipline is needed to let him know it's not acceptable to throw things but at the same time I can understand his frustration.

Yes, we have a journey ahead of us!!! Made easier though knowing there are others out there going through the same thing. I would love to keep in touch with you...message me if you want my email.

Good luck and great to "meet" you!!
    Last edited by Lathlainmum; 18-01-2013 at 21:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there!
    My son was diagnosed quite a while ago with verbal dyspraxia. He is now 3.5 years old. What program is your SLP using? we are using the Nuffield program which has worked really well for our boy thus far.
    Yu've got a lonog road ahead of you but it does get better! My boy now has lots of conversations with us, many people still cant interpret what he says but my family does
    What I would recommend is finding an OT to work alongside the SLP. Isaac has no other issues outside of the apraxia, however fine tuning all his motor abilities has helped his speech.
    If you have any questions, feel free to PM me

9. The Following User Says Thank You to itsabelly For This Useful Post:

Lathlainmum  (21-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    100% recommend sign language. I taught my son from birth as we had always planned on teaching baby sign..little did we know he would rely on it in toddlerhood. Just do the sign each time you say the word and kids catch on very quickly By age 2 my son was signing things like boy, girl, mum, dad, grandparents, tree, ball, sun, flower, milk, drink, food, eat, no, yes, dog, cat, boat, butterfly etc . Mostly we used baby sign as that is what we had always used but as long as you are consistent whichever sign you choose is fine (better to go with ASL or Makaton as they are well known by therapists and some teachers.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Lathlainmum  (21-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Looking for support

Hi!

I came across this thread while googling things tonight. My son is 2 years and 9 months. We've been seeing a ST since he was 2 (referred by health centre nurse at 2 yo check up). I wasn't happy with our initial ST and gave up for about 3-4 months last year because I was getting frustrated and he wasn't talking!

We've been back to a new ST since Nov last year, and since the second session, she's mentioned Dyspraxia. She said she's not diagnosed him as having it as it is too early, but he presents with characteristics of having it. She's been pushing sign language, which we'e been slow to take up, but I am trying more and more now and he's doing some signs. Progress is slow with his speech, he maybe has 4-5 new "words" a month (not proper words but parts of words that he is using consistently).

I think I've been in denial a little bit, because his comprehension is 100% and his motor skills are great, other than his speech his milestones are all on par. But as time goes on and he gets closer to his 3rd birthday and I see other kids his age, I am starting to know "deep down" that I think he does have a problem. He has an older sibling who is nearly 5, and I've heard all the comments like "he doesn't need to speak because J does all the talking for him (older brother was an early taker and very advanced in his language). But now that older bro is off to school, I don't really think that was the problem! From googling, I think he may have/ present characteristics of verbal dyspraxia.

Anyway, I'm feeling very emotional and upset at the moment, and I am searching for some support groups. So happy to stumble across this thread and hope you are still around :-) Love to know how you are going. I've made a note of the books you mentioned and will look into them. I downloaded the RIDBC about 3 weeks ago and we've had a bit of a play with it - my son likes to watch it, so maybe we need to spend some more dedicated time each day working on it. I see repetition, repetition, repetition mentioned a bit and I think we need to do some more of this!

Belinda

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Belinda,
    Sorry to hear you are going through a lot of emotional turmoil at the moment. I remember I was exactly the same back in December when we received our formal diagnosis. I had done a lot of research on verbal dyspraxia after our SP first mentioned it and I was so upset with everything I was reading. I was scared that my little boy would never be able to make himself understood and then worried about all the social implications of this. I was living and breathing my fear and anxiety about it 24 hours a day! I now feel a lot calmer and more accepting of everything and I do think this is making a difference to my son as well! I have stopped my formal speech sessions at home as T was getting frustrated and really not getting anything out of them. What I am doing now is taking every opportunity I can in our every day routine to encourage him to talk. I repeat simple words to him (wash hands, drink, daddy etc) 2 or 3 times as they come up in conversation and always give him the opportunity to attempt the word as well. More often than not his version sounds nothing like it should but at least he is attempting it! I also try and present him with choices at every opportunity...I have found this really helpful. If I am going to give him a piece of fruit I say "would you like apple or banana, apple or banana" and show him both. He must then make an attempt to verbalise the fruit he has chosen before I will give it to him. He always makes some sort of attempt. Its easy to do this with colours as well....is that car red or green? It can be turned into a game of sorts and I have found T is far more receptive with this than he was with our formal sit down sessions. There really are so many opportunites to offer him word choices during your normal daily routine. My SP is encouraging me to do counting and body parts with T at the moment so I try and incorporate these at some stage during the day (bath time is excellent).

T is definitely improving, slowly but surely. He has always called me mama but yesterday for the very first time he said mummy very clearly...what music to my ears!! He has reverted back to mama again today but it is progress, I know he can say it so I just have to keep reminding him how to say it. I have noticed he is using 2 "words" together now and his repertoire of legible words is certainly increasing.

Many people have said to me that I have a long road ahead of me and I know I do. But being relaxed about the situation has brought me a new confidence in myself that I am doing everything I can to help my little boy. Previously I was getting very stressed, worrying that I wasn't doing enough and doubting that I was doing things properly. But every child is different and I have finally found the techniques that work best for T. He has really responded to repetition and being offered choices. You'll work out what is best for your baby. It just takes time to get your head around the whole situation and find that inner confidence in yourself. Try not to worry, I think our boys do pick up on our stress levels so the more relaxed you are about his speech the more relaxed he will probably be and that can only be positive for his progress. He will get there, just a question of time.

Hope this helps you in some way!
    Sam