Closed Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't want to cosleep? Fine. Nothing wrong with that. Bolting your child into his room until 7am every morning? And threatening to leave if your wife won't do it? He screamed alone in a locked room for 3hours?? I felt sick reading that. That goes way beyond acceptable.

And yes - I think deliberately letting a child scream alone in a cot for 3 hours is just as bad.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (22-12-2012),Ceili  (21-12-2012),Luna Lovegood  (21-12-2012),RobinSparkles  (21-12-2012),Stiflers Mom  (21-12-2012),trishalishous  (21-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I locked our toddler in his room every night to save my marriage

I can completely understand why this father decided to come to this decision. I have to sit at the bedroom door from anywhere of 10 mins to over an hour until my dd2 goes to sleep otherwise she constantly gets out of bed and as she's sharing a room with her sister and they have a bunk bed she has started climbing up the top to her sister who is soundly sleeping if I don't stay in the room. Iv read alot of people talk about co-sleeping.. This would not work for my dd as she plays and makes me even more stressed and that's in the middle of the night. Its not always convenient to go to bed when your child does. I'm not saying I would do what this father did but I agree with London- desperate times call for desperate measures. I'm sure this father tried EVERYTHING before coming to this decision.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mum2mj For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (21-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Not something I would do, why on earth was he locked in til 7am if he was waking at 5am? He was to go to the potty himself and then play alone for 2 hours until they let him out? What if he had done a poo?? He was left in there with a stinky potty? That just seems, wrong to me. I get the safety aspect etc. even if I don't particularly agree with it. Have to say if you cannot get up to take your child to the toilet, that is bad parenting!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RobinSparkles For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (21-12-2012),MissMuppet  (21-12-2012),Stiflers Mom  (21-12-2012),trishalishous  (21-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Agree that the potty in the room is weird...

Thanks
    Reviews
    All I read is that the toddler kept trying to approach his parents through the night and was repeatedly put back into bed. No mention of attempting to co sleep and locking him in a room alone screaming and crying was chosen as the method to deal with it.
    Look, I do understand sleep dep and doing anything to cope. It's just that the above flies in the face of all my instincts. And keeping him in 'til 7am just to sleep in a bit? Seems a bit much.
    It has opened my eyes a bit that parents would choose the above solution (which is so hard for everyone to endure) above sleeping with their kid in their room/bed so I guess I need a bit more understanding about that. What is it about co sleeping that is so not doable for some parents?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (21-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    All I read is that the toddler kept trying to approach his parents through the night and was repeatedly put back into bed. No mention of attempting to co sleep and locking him in a room alone screaming and crying was chosen as the method to deal with it.
    Look, I do understand sleep dep and doing anything to cope. It's just that the above flies in the face of all my instincts. And keeping him in 'til 7am just to sleep in a bit? Seems a bit much.
    It has opened my eyes a bit that parents would choose the above solution (which is so hard for everyone to endure) above sleeping with their kid in their room/bed so I guess I need a bit more understanding about that. What is it about co sleeping that is so not doable for some parents?
    I wish I could be a co sleeping parent & I will sort of be with a breastfed bub but I'm a light sleeper & find the kids keep me from sleeping.

I don't have any issues with other people doing it at all. I'd be interested in what a long term study finds from it. Not in a bad way just does it help social skills or ability to concentrate or lessen risks of anxiety etc etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: I locked our toddler in his room every night to save my marriage

What is it about co sleeping that is so not doable for some parents?
    My son has enlarged tonsils and adnoids and is awaiting surgery to remove them, so snores like a freight train. I already struggle with DH's snoring without adding another snorer into the mix. I would never get any sleep.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I couldn't co sleep .. I am a very light sleeper I wouldn't get any sleep at all .. Luckily my girl has been a great sleeper (unlike me) .. A few times when she was 2 she slept with her dad in another room .. I hope this next baby us a good sleeper!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

I bedshare if/when dd wakes up, but I know plenty of people that can't. They either have a child that thinks it's party time in the parents bed, Mum/Dad is a light sleeper or is on a particular medication that affects their ability to safely bedshare. It's not a one size fits all.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

What is it about co sleeping that is so not doable for some parents?
    SIDS risks- if parents are smokers or take drugs/medication, or are extremely heavy sleepers. Some people literally cannot sleep with their kids in the bed. So you wouldn't be getting a better night's sleep. Some kids think mum & dad's bed= party time, and some, like my DS, point blank refuse to sleep in their parent's bed. If he's sick or restless or up super early and i don't want to be up and down i'll try to get him to stay with us, and it always ends in him sobbing 'nooo mummy I want to sleep in myyyy beeeed!' Lots of people (including babies) prefer their own sleep space. I know I'm the same.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (21-12-2012),PR2bMum  (21-12-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast