Closed Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I locked our toddler in his room every night to save my marriage

Quote Originally Posted by tannedangel View Post
    I agree! We aren't all perfect, we all have a breaking point. I know some mothers who have given phenergan to get their child to sleep.
    When I first had kids I tried that on advice from someone.

Unfortunately for me all my kids & myself have an adverse reaction to phenergan and that reaction is an inability to sleep. Rather than calm us down or whatever it's meant to do it winds us up & we are pretty much bouncing off the walls.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    I can't comment on the techniques they resorted to - I've never been in that situation.... Thankfully.

I was put off by the tone of the article... It came across as self-richeous smug to me. He starts off by saying his wife got up 50 or so times, then he gives her an ultimatum?? What a dispicable thing to do, to threaten to leave her so he can go off and get his way (while she's the one getting up 50 times to the child). Ick, how gross.

Plus the general tone of the article seemed insincere to me. I wasn't overly convinced he had a problem with locking the child in. But yeah not sure what I think about the locking in part... I haven't been that desperate.
    Totally agree. I felt sorry for his wife. And I found the whole thing self congratulatory - kept going on about all the evidence he'd found that showed it would be fine.

I'm not necessarily judging the act itself but I'm not buying his attitude and dislike the way he spoke about his wife.

Thanks
    Reviews

If my child was say a sleepwalker I would put a lock on their door for their own safety. I wouldn't think twice about it but I'd also have a baby monitor in their room.

I dislike him giving his wife an ultimatum. That's not cool but it's her choice to put up with him so whatever works for their relationship I guess.

Me personally the child crying for hours would do my head in. I do not like listening to kids crying like that

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ourbradybunch For This Useful Post:

Missbean  (21-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

I wonder if a Supernanny review would find they tried appropriate measures before going this drastic route (eg appropriate daytime routine/sleep, strict bedtime routine, no talking when putting child back to bed). The Dad's article mentioned they were trying to cuddle the boy back to sleep: big no-no if you're trying to get your child to self settle to the point they don't awake and crack it if you're no longer there.

Either way poor kid.

Thanks
    Reviews

My parents actually did this to me lol at this age - I still remember roaming around outside in the early hours

Thanks
    Reviews

They were desperate, I would never do that to my child, I would co sleep, however if that is what worked for them then it's good that it only took 3 nights.... Some parents do more harm then good by repeatedly putting their children back to bed, they may get angry and agitated and then the child ends up feeling the same as being locked in their room!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: I locked our toddler in his room every night to save my marriage

I close dd's door at night, not to make sure she sleeps through, but to keep her from waking up in the middle of the night and wandering the house. We have a monitor on and I get up as soon as I hear her. It really is like putting a baby in a cot, there is still the same risk of fire etc. I have no idea how I would react without sleep over a period of time; my child has slept through most nights since 6 weeks old... I know for sure though, that it would have a serious impact on my health and take a toll on my marriage. I would be desperate!

This couple were desperate; desperate for their child's safety: desperate for a decent sleep; desperate for a happy relationship again.

Can we really judge after a good night sleep?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (21-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I hope to never have a kid like that.. Sounds awful but my god it would drive me mad... Really **** situation for all!! I personally couldn't lock my child in a bedroom ..

Thanks
    Reviews

I've almost been to that point with a 3 year old who won't stay in her bed. We have finally got past it but I do understand how a parent might get to breaking point like this.

On another note, my Aunty used to lock my cousins in their room at night until they burnt the house down after taking a cigarette lighter into their room and playing with it. Lucky they weren't all killed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: I locked our toddler in his room every night to save my marriage

I couldn't do it myself but I can certainly understand how they felt. My oldest didn't start sleeping through until he was 3. DS2 was born when DS1 was 2, so for a year I was getting up to 2 kids, each woke approx 4-5 times each. Fast forward to now when DS2 is 2.5 and still wakes up 6+ times a night and I'm pregnant with #3. I am exceptionally lucky That my DH Is the most helpful husband ever and he gets up most of the time at the moment. But if I get another non sleeper, I foresee another 3+ years of very little sleep.

Sleep deprivation is absolutely awful and I won't judge people for reaching their limit.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast