Closed Thread
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    How so? Half the posts are for, half against. Should we all agree? How boring.
    It's not that people are debating his actions. It's how vociferously people are attacking him and (to a lesser degree) his wife - to the extent that they're digging up information on his background, and other articles he's written, to provide further 'evidence' as to his character.

This has moved a long way from a debate about whether or not the actions in the OP were justified.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Ellymoe  (24-12-2012),mellysmama  (28-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I locked our toddler in his room every night to save my marriage

Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    The massively judgmental posts are really starting to pee me off big time! You don't know what this family went through so who the heck are you to judge them?? The nerve of some of you revolts me!

If I was placed in that position where I was desperate, depressed, wanting to harm my child and ready to kill myself and my DH, I would do it! Judge away!!!
    This is how I feel too. Sick of reading it now!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pippi For This Useful Post:

FirstTimeMummy2012  (22-12-2012),Guest654  (22-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    But he was asleep after the 3 hours. And from then on, he didn't get out of bed. That doesn't sound traumatic to me.

DD can't get out of her cot. She doesn't try to. When she wakes up in the morning we go and get her out of her cot...

It makes sense if he's toilet training/ only recently trained for him to have a potty in his room in case he needs to go. Lots of people have child gates across their children's rooms, and a potty in the room in case the child needs to go to the toilet. I really don't see an issue.

I think people are forgetting that he's a journalist, and probably has a brief to write 'edgy' articles that will get people talking/ taking different sides. He is probably told to write things about the negative aspects of parenting, for example - 'the things no one says'. Lots of journalists do that. Doesn't mean they are 'a perpetual victim', 'selfish', or any of the criticism that has been put up against this guy.

People really seem to have their pitchforks out on the basis of very little information...
    If he slept through after the 3 hours, why didn't they unlock the door? And if they were now able to miraculously sleep through the night, why didn't they get their lazy asses out of bed in the morning to care for their son instead of keeping him locked up? And has anyone else ever been locked in a room with a pot of their own excrement for potentially hours? Not bloody pleasant I would imagine? We use toilets,and flush them for a reason!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

Ceili  (22-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Presumably at that point they didn't know that he was going to sleep through.

I'm sure that the article was written with a specific brief in mind, and the journalist didn't imagine that he might have to go into infinite detail about every minute of each day thereafter.

And really? No one has ever put a potty in a child's room before?

ETA - I'm bowing out of this discussion now, as tbh it's making me feel uncomfortable. I've no desire to take part in a big group flaming of a complete stranger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would imagine most people would leave the door open, so if the child used the potty they could get help from their parents to assist them to clean themselves up. I don't know how other people toilet trained but when my daughter was learning I would help clean her afterwards and empty it out for her right away, not leave it locked in her room with the door shut for a few hours until I was ready to clean it up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

Ceili  (22-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default I locked our toddler in his room every night to save my marriage

Deleted...
    Last edited by kw123; 22-12-2012 at 13:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: I locked our toddler in his room every night to save my marriage

Girl x - I get that impression too, he's written an article to ne edgy, carefully worded really so it'll create debate, because while it is written to shock (describing the guttural sound his son made that still "haunts him") and in his other article wording the part about his friend leaving his wife because he wasnt attracted to her after breastfeeding, but also some of it seems reasonable - or at least creates empathy.

Both articles side by side, plus his background he's been an editor of a magazine and worked for a newspaper. It actually seems very..... hmmm.... I can't put my finger on it....

I wonder how much of it was "don't let the truth get in the way of a good story"

All speculation I know. But just my thoughts.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The lads magazine background actually explains why he was so 'shocked' at how women's bodies change after childbirth/pregnancy.

i think he was looking for a reaction, and he got it. Most of the comments in his articles seem supportive of him, and any comment that disagrees is given a lovely number of red thumbs down.

personally, I judge people on their behaviours and what they say. Do I judge this man? Absolutely. I can't help it. Maybe I should have kept my opinion to myself but too late now.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (22-12-2012),trishalishous  (23-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: I locked our toddler in his room every night to save my marriage

this thread is sickening. not that man and his wife.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ermergerd For This Useful Post:

Monster & Boof  (22-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    I would imagine most people would leave the door open, so if the child used the potty they could get help from their parents to assist them to clean themselves up. I don't know how other people toilet trained but when my daughter was learning I would help clean her afterwards and empty it out for her right away, not leave it locked in her room with the door shut for a few hours until I was ready to clean it up.
    When I went and saw the 'sleep doctor' he told me to put my baby to bed and let him cry, but check on him every 15 minutes. And not open the door until 7 am...

I just couldn't do it. And my son still doesn't sleep until 7 am. I don't know...it just seems so off..clocking off at night and leaving the kids until 7. I think wherever he got this info he has been misguided along with a lot of other parents.