Closed Thread
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    When mine was younger I suffered horrible sleep deprivation. Difference was, I didn't have a caring partner to help. Like delirium I am perplexed as to why he says his wife got up to him 37 times...why didn't they tag team? She does some nights, he does others? It sounds as though they both worked, and it sounds as though he was only concerned about himself - threatening to go to a hotel if she didn't agree to his decisions, no matter how extreme the decisions.

What worries me is that this could be deemed unlawful in some parts of the world. What else can we excuse under the guise of sleep deprivation?

I know sleep deprivation caused me to do some very strange things. One night I bashed my head against the bed because my son would wake within 5 minutes of putting him down. Even if I slept with him. I was exhausted. I put him in his cot, lay in my bed next to him while he cried, and I cried too. I had taken him to supposedly the best sleep doctor in the State, sleep schools, stayed with mum (who also ended up sheer exhausted helping me), ended up driving to get him to sleep, parking in the driveway and us both napping very uncomfortably in the car. When he was a toddler I put a safety gate in his doorway so he'd stop coming out, difference was he could see out and I would settle him if called.

so I know it drives parents to despair, I just don't agree that it should excuse people from everything. And I feel very sorry for his wife.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (22-12-2012),Ceili  (22-12-2012),GreenMama  (22-12-2012),Kiplusthree  (22-12-2012),shelle65  (22-12-2012),Stiflers Mom  (22-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default I locked our toddler in his room every night to save my marriage

The massively judgmental posts are really starting to pee me off big time! You don't know what this family went through so who the heck are you to judge them?? The nerve of some of you revolts me!

If I was placed in that position where I was desperate, depressed, wanting to harm my child and ready to kill myself and my DH, I would do it! Judge away!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: I locked our toddler in his room every night to save my marriage

Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    The massively judgmental posts are really starting to pee me off big time! You don't know what this family went through so who the heck are you to judge them?? The nerve of some of you revolts me!

If I was placed in that position where I was desperate, depressed, wanting to harm my child and ready to kill myself and my DH, I would do it! Judge away!!!
    Settle petal.

You could say that same old "dont judge" argument about anything.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

Ceili  (22-12-2012),Chew the Mintie  (22-12-2012),Kiplusthree  (22-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Using your judgement isn't a bad thing. To say other parents don't know what they have been through...well, a heck of a lot of parents have suffered through sleep deprivation.

A lot of parents end up completely frazzled and do all sorts of awful things to their kids. Understandable? Sometimes. Right? No.

Anyway, this isn't his only article about his family. He is a perpetual victim and I think he is pretty selfish.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (22-12-2012),Kiplusthree  (22-12-2012),PlayNice  (22-12-2012),PomPoms  (22-12-2012),Stiflers Mom  (22-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    My background is also psychology, and and I heartily disagree that 3 hours of crying will inevitably traumatise a child for life. We are not talking about a persistent prolonged campaign by the parents. It may well be the case that the child doesn't recall and isn't affected by the experience. To say it will harm him for life is an overstatement, to say the very least.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using BubHub
    It wasn't just 3 hours of crying - he was locked in his room all night and until his parents felt like getting out of bed in the morning, for what I gather was months!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a bit of background on the lovely man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Daubney

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KCT View Post
    It wasn't just 3 hours of crying - he was locked in his room all night and until his parents felt like getting out of bed in the morning, for what I gather was months!
    But he was asleep after the 3 hours. And from then on, he didn't get out of bed. That doesn't sound traumatic to me.

DD can't get out of her cot. She doesn't try to. When she wakes up in the morning we go and get her out of her cot...

It makes sense if he's toilet training/ only recently trained for him to have a potty in his room in case he needs to go. Lots of people have child gates across their children's rooms, and a potty in the room in case the child needs to go to the toilet. I really don't see an issue.

I think people are forgetting that he's a journalist, and probably has a brief to write 'edgy' articles that will get people talking/ taking different sides. He is probably told to write things about the negative aspects of parenting, for example - 'the things no one says'. Lots of journalists do that. Doesn't mean they are 'a perpetual victim', 'selfish', or any of the criticism that has been put up against this guy.

People really seem to have their pitchforks out on the basis of very little information...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I feel so sorry for Sonny. What I gathered from the article is that he is put into daycare every day and not picked up until the evening so he obviously was craving attention and affection from his parents. Instead of exploring what Sonny NEEDED, they just considered their own needs and locked him in his room. Very selfish people.

I don't know why people are saying 'poor wife' - she seems like an A class dim wit! Where was her instincts as a mother? She should have locked her husband in a room and seen how he liked it and let her little boy sleep with her instead. To me, that solution would have been much more rational.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FutureMa For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (23-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This feels like a witch hunt for this poor guy.

Either that or bullying.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

mellysmama  (28-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How so? Half the posts are for, half against. Should we all agree? How boring.