Closed Thread
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I really don't understand why a divorce was the alternative here. Who would a divorce have helped? The Dad only. The child would not have benefited, the Mum would not have benefited, just the Dad getting some sleep. I just don't get it.
    Well in the article he clearly states that it was do this or I'm leaving to go to a hotel. Do you really think he would have come back after a few days and everything would have been hunky dory? Of course by him leaving he is the only one that benefits but he was at that point. Or we do this or I leave. Why is it hard to understand that a divorce would probably have naturally been the next step or a trial seperation at the very least?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (21-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default I locked our toddler in his room every night to save my marriage

When I sleep, I actually want to sleep. It is my alone time, time when I get some personal space. I'd go insane being attached to my children 24/7.
    My eldest never would cosleep, and even at nearly 5 she won't come into my bed to cuddle. My coslept with my youngest until she decided that she wanted her own space. Now being in my bed means its party time and mummy mummy mummy in out up down over and under.

Mmm no thanks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tannedangel For This Useful Post:

FirstTimeMummy2012  (21-12-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I really don't understand why a divorce was the alternative here. Who would a divorce have helped? The Dad only. The child would not have benefited, the Mum would not have benefited, just the Dad getting some sleep. I just don't get it.
    Again, I see it as a breaking point. You can love someone (his wife and kids) and hate to be around them at the same time. Im sure it wouldnt have helped but like I said, I saw it as a way to get them to work together to try something. He could have easily not given an ultimatum and just gone "f**k this" and walked out.
    Things get said in the heat of a moment that, while you do mean them at the time, when you look back you realise they were probably a bit rash and hasty.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (21-12-2012),Ellymoe  (21-12-2012),Purple Lily  (21-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Co-sleeping is not some sort of parenting ideal! It's great if it works for you but it is not something for other parents to aspire to, which is what I think a lot of people on here seem to think.

I'm a light sleeper. DS is a light sleeper. We both sleep better in our own rooms. Plus, I love having my room as my own baby free space. I love having my husband to myself in bed. At the weekend we might have a couple of drinks so it would be unsafe. Tons of reasons not to co-sleep!!! I don't think any of them mean I love my son less than people who want to share their bed with their kids.

We regularly do early morning cuddles as snoozes in our bed which we all love but that's obviously not the same thing.

Also, as I mentioned previously, if the issue is that the child doesn't want to be alone, won't the same issue still stand if the parents are in the lounge?

It's not as though anyone would suggest going to bed at the same time as the kids... Would they?
    We also have DD in our bed in the morning, but don't co-sleep during the night, for most of the same reasons as you. The morning snuggles with DD are lovely, but the "special" snuggles in my own bed at night with DH are pretty good too . We get both this way . Co-sleeping wouldn't be a great solution for us to a sleep problem anyway as DD loves kicking and pulling DH's chest hair for fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I think I am viewing the ultimatum differently to alot of people.
    I am seeing it as somethings gotta give...and in a relationship I think there needs to be both people WANTING to be there and on the same page. I dont think it works if they arent in it together.
    I see it as rather than walking out on his family, going to a quiet hotel/motel and sleeping the next few days away while his wife is left with the torturous situation, he gave her a choice............lets try something different....lets try something radical.....lets do something before we completely snap....lets do this step TOGETHER. United we stand.

To me it shows more love and compassion for his family than taking the easy road, dusting his hands of it and walking away.
    That's how I saw it too.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yet if it were the other way around it would be perfectly ok for the mother to do. No judgement for her, just understanding that she wasn't coping and needed to get away to get some head space yadda yadda yadda. But because the person has a penis he is automatically a monster, selfish etc.

I read it as a 'something's gotta give', not that he was being selfish or monstrous.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tannedangel For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (21-12-2012),Guest654  (21-12-2012),Lovemyfam  (21-12-2012),Missbean  (21-12-2012),shhhsleeping  (21-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I know. I just find it so arrogant. "If this doesn't change then I will do whatever I have to to make my life better and sod the rest of you". He doesn't seem to see anything wrong with it in the article. He speaks as though it is a perfectly justified thing to suggest.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (21-12-2012),Stiflers Mom  (21-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tannedangel View Post
    Yet if it were the other way around it would be perfectly ok for the mother to do. No judgement for her, just understanding that she wasn't coping and needed to get away to get some head space yadda yadda yadda. But because the person has a penis he is automatically a monster, selfish etc.

I read it as a 'something's gotta give', not that he was being selfish or monstrous.
    You're being sarcastic right? If it were the other way around it would be judgment city that a MOTHER could do that. It wouldn't even be contemplated that a poor FATHER could be left to deal with a difficult child.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (21-12-2012),Mathermy  (21-12-2012),RobinSparkles  (21-12-2012),Stiflers Mom  (21-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

It also says he watched his wife get up 37 times and then said we're locking him in or I am leaving. If DF let me get up to DS 37 times without helping and said that, I would be pushing him out the door.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RobinSparkles For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (21-12-2012),Ceili  (21-12-2012),GreenMama  (21-12-2012),Missbean  (21-12-2012),shelle65  (21-12-2012),Stiflers Mom  (21-12-2012),wrena  (21-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Hagrid View Post
    It also says he watched his wife get up 37 times and then said we're locking him in or I am leaving. If DF let me get up to DS 37 times without helping and said that, I would be pushing him out the door.
    You don't know the circumstances around that. I've always left hubby to sleep, I don't ever expect him to get up to the kids, because to remain alive at work, he needs sleep. I'd rather an alive husband and being sleep deprived over a dead husband.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tannedangel For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (21-12-2012),Missbean  (21-12-2012)