+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Easy to chew finger food for 10 month old

I'm about to admit here that I have a problem, a fear and I'm super anxious.
    When I was a very young child I choked on a chicken bone, my mum still remembers the event, I vaguely do.
    I think somewhere in my subconscious it still haunts me, as one of my fears is choking/drowning/not being able to breath.
    With ds1 I was very cautious what I have him and it took awhile for me to be fully confident giving him a variety of finger foods.
    With ds2 who is now 10m I started early giving him steamed veggies, toast, fruit, bread crust, rusks etc but after a couple of scares (gagging, but it left me in tears and really shaky and beside myself afterwards) I have cut back a lot on finger foods when I know this is the time to be offering them more often.

Can you please suggest some meals, foods that are easily chewed and swallowed and what size to serve them?

Thanks so much.

I do understand that chewing is very important for speech that is why I want to be more confident. In saying that, ds1 spoke amazingly well right from the beginning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Broccoli florets, baby carrots whole, toast soldiers, pikelets, omlettes, half mango or avo, roasted sweet potato/zucchini/pumpkin in wedges, fish cakes, chickpea and tuna patties, zucchini fritters, meatballs with grated veg, penne pasta, ravioli.

Also cruskits with spreads ie avo, cheese, nut butters.

Banana whole or cut in half.

Can't think of any more. My 6mth old and 2yo eat these fairly regularly. Saves you cooking twice

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (20-12-2012),Bambibambino  (20-12-2012),Nicki77  (20-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Subbing!

Also little meatballs/burgers (homemade of course)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My little girl enjoys cobs of corn, roast lamb, any vegie roasted or steamed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    100% agree with rose&aurelia, I gave all these things to dd1. Plus mini quiches and grated fruits and veg (apples, pear, carrot etc..) it's very important to give a variety of textures also. So even when I have/had finished feeding I let them "play" with the renaming food like spaghetti and mash veggies so they were familiar with flavours and textures.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Broccoli florets, baby carrots whole, toast soldiers, pikelets, omlettes, half mango or avo, roasted sweet potato/zucchini/pumpkin in wedges, fish cakes, chickpea and tuna patties, zucchini fritters, meatballs with grated veg, penne pasta, ravioli.

Also cruskits with spreads ie avo, cheese, nut butters.

Banana whole or cut in half.

Can't think of any more. My 6mth old and 2yo eat these fairly regularly. Saves you cooking twice

Thank You Can I please ask a silly question? At 10 months will he automatically 'chew' with his gums before swallowing? As oppossed to just put in mouth and swallow, therefore causing gagging.

I tried to give a banana today and almost had a panic attack when he took a big bite!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

My SIL was nervous about finger foods as well so we tried her ( her DD was fine it was my SIL who needed to start slowly!) on these foods first, it taught her to gnaw/gum off bits and chew then swallow- remember babies are very smart and if he gags its a great sign he is switched on enough to know to clear his throat! All the other suggestions from
    Pp are great but you need to
    Build your confidence in your baby first! He will naturally learn to bite (or gum) then chew, then swallow which is why they need finger foods

- large pieces of watermelon (about the size of a cruskit)

- cut in half a large peach or mango , the flesh is very soft and easy to chew

- large brown rice cakes - he will suck and gum it so it will melt in his mouth

- grilled lamb cutlet - he won't be able to bite off chunks but will gnaw and gum off pieces

- corn cobs - great as he will nibble tiny pieces

- cucumber sticks - cut a cucumber in half - its too hard for him to bite off pieces but he can gum off the soft flesh

- cruskits - I used organic quinoa or rice ones- they look scary but melt in babies mouth when he gums it - add avo or nut butters

- egg pancake ( 2 egg omelette with whatever filling fried into pancake size and cut into fingers)

- steamed broccoli flowerettes - thick
    Ones that he can hold into and gum the soft flesh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the very detailed list! I will try some today.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    Thank You Can I please ask a silly question? At 10 months will he automatically 'chew' with his gums before swallowing? As oppossed to just put in mouth and swallow, therefore causing gagging.

I tried to give a banana today and almost had a panic attack when he took a big bite!!
    I presume so. Dd2 is just over 6mths and has no teeth yet but very powerful gums and suck. She literally sucks the banana/mango etc. She only gags on the skin of apricots/peaches then spits that out.

Today she is eating porridge got brekky - EMs quinoa recipe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

DS loves zucchini and pumpkin fritters..you can cut them into whatever size pieces you feel comfortable with and they are relatively soft and easy to swallow.

He has pikelets sometimes for breakfast. I try to make them really small (like those Dutch pancakes) so he can hold one easily and eat it. I put berries in mine and smear with some Greek yoghurt.

Mini hamburger patties or rissoles.
    Mini muffins.
    Roasted veggies (cut them into whatever size/shape you like).
    Risotto.
    Spaghetti bolognese.