+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Weaning toddler off bottle to bed routine

My son is nearly 23 months old and ever since he decided to stop breastfeeding (around 11 months) he's had a bottle to go to bed. He now only has water in it and only has it when he's going to bed. He doesn't actually need it to fall asleep but he asks for it when he's tired and likes to have it during storytime and will take it into the cot with him. It makes putting him to bed super easy. I asked a child health nurse about it awhile ago and she said it's not bad for him, he just likes the comfort and getting extra water into him in summer is a good thing.

The thing is though that I really can't be bothered cleaning the teats anymore! And I know he's capable of going to sleep without it, it's just a habit. Should I bother trying to get rid of it???? I'm assuming the only way to break the habit is to just let him cry himself to sleep a few times until he's forgotten about it (not working very well yet!) Anyone have any better ideas?

Should I just give it to him to make bedtimes easy or try and teach him to go to bed without it? Thought and ideas appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    does he still nap during the day? does he need a bottle then?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Weaning toddler off bottle to bed routine

Whats the bedtime routine like? If you have a good routine (several things, same order each night) your DS might be able to cope with the bottle being removed.

Or you could try putting the water in a sippy cup not a bottle. Or slowly giving less and less water each night. Or giving the water earlier in the bedtime routine so it's not used as a sleep crutch.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was the same and I couldn't get her off it without a fight so I did the "big girls don't have a bottle" and I secretly split the teat a little each time. After a few nights she'd be dribbling it everywhere and said "oh no bwoken" and put it in the bin! I never thought it'd be that easy. I guess she accepted it as she thought it was her idea?
    Good luck

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Take him to the shops and get him to choose a special water cup. Perhaps he could sit on a 'special' pillow to drink it before bed. Then throw out all of your bottles

6. The Following User Says Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (22-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Weaning toddler off bottle to bed routine

He does still have one day sleep most days and he has the bottle then too but I have managed to get him to sleep without it a few times by giving him a favourite book and telling him I would get his bottle but I never did and he fell asleep. I think I could get him to nap without it as it's light and he can be distracted by toys. I just need to get his daycarer to do it too or there's no consistancy. At night though is another story. Tonight he cried for ages then I got him up for a while and let him play trains to calm down again. Eventually he went to sleep after I gave him his drink bottle. I'll try the drink bottle or sippy cup again tomorrow. He's going through an independence phase and is refusing to wear his sleepsack or have a bath or read a story or go to bed (unless he has a bottle) so that doesn't help. I might try hiding the bottles (won't chuck them as they're expensive medela ones that fit my breast pump which I'll hopefully get to use again soon).
    Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tried again tonight. Hid the bottles and told him they were all broken and all gone. He didn't really want to go to bed and didn't even want a story but put him in his cot and gave him his trains and some books to read. He got upset and just said "up" alot. I let him cry for a bit but it didn't work. Didn't get him up but read him some stories and tried to get him to lie back down, in the end I gave him his waterbottle and he went to sleep straight away! I guess at least he's OK without the bottles (at least no more teats to wash) so now to just get him to go to bed without a drink bottle (he really didn't want a drink from a cup).

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Weaning toddler off bottle to bed routine

Update DS now goes to bed easily without bottles of any kind! He only took a couple of days to forget about bottles. Then a few more days of taking a waterbottle to bed instead. Now he just goes to bed without anything. Sometimes he'll whinge or cry for a few minutes and sometimes he'll go straight to sleep but he doesn't ask for a bottle at all now.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub