+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default School environment or teacher's qualifications?

Hello there,

I just moved to Australia a couple of months ago. My son will be starting kindergarten next year and I would like some help in deciding which school to put him in. Do you choose a school with nice environment, good resources or with teachers with good qualification (like Masters in Early Childhood Learning)?? From the feedback of some parents, both seems to be pretty good schools. Btw, I am in Qld.

Thanks!

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Take a tour of the schools? Try and gets feel for them. Not sure a masters or degree will really tell you how "good of a teacher" some one is. Go with your gut and the one with the best rep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am not sure the two are mutually exclusive in most cases! A teacher should always have a degree. I agree with the above poster. Have met some fabulous academics who struggle with the classroom.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: School environment or teacher's qualifications?

My son isn't going room school yet, but for me the environment with resources is more important. The reason for this is because school have a structured schedule set by the education board. So whether a teacher has a bachelor's degree or a masters becomes irrelevant. They will still teach the same thing thing aye the same level.

However not having enough resources means the child doesn't get to experience the same things at the same level as someone else's child.

I'd rather he has facilities to enjoy learning and gain experience that different resources can provide.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There are many fine teachers without a Masters OP. Don't let this be a deciding factor - how do you know what qualifications the teachers at the school have? Is the school using this as a selling point?

Thanks
    Reviews
    When deciding on our child's school the factors that helped us decide were;
    cleanliness of the school, friendliness of the staff, older and long term staff over a high turnover of staff and staff that looked as though they weren't long out of school themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews

Op are you referring to a C&K kindergarten or one attached to a childcare centre

Thanks
    Reviews
    They are both C&K affiliated.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks!!

Thank you everyone for the feedback.