+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What is the law about installing car seats?

They are easy to do yourself. There is no reason you can't do it as well as a professional, which I think was stated by a PP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: What is the law about installing car seats?

We do it ourselves every time. I have to change it so often there is no way I could pay to get someone to do it for me.

It is really easy but if you want peace of mind that you are doing it right you could watch someone fit it for you or get them to check it the first time.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews

We had it done for free at the local council a few times (they run a session every month) and since then dh has done it. We were amazed when they did it first, that thing was rock solid, it was as hard to move as the actual fixed car seat itself.

I say do it yourself but be sure you are doing it right. Get someone to show you if unsure. $$$ woulfb't count for nuthin' if my child was injured cos I had personally fitted the seat incorrectly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    in qld its free to have done at the ambo .

i have only had the seats done professionally once and that was before dd was born as her seat was a bit different to when ds was rearfacing so i wanted it checked .

i'll get the seats refitted at the ambo when we add the third seat
    in about 5 months

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews

We had it done for free at the local council a few times (they run a session every month) and since then dh has done it. We were amazed when they did it first, that thing was rock solid, it was as hard to move as the actual fixed car seat itself.

I say do it yourself but be sure you are doing it right. Get someone to show you if unsure. $$$ woulfb't count for nuthin' if my child was injured cos I had personally fitted the seat incorrectly l

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you should get it done and shown to you the first time by a professional.

I have always done my kids seats myself. I swore I was doing it right and I did it great. But then at a playgroup one day the guy used my car as the example and there were afew things wrong with my installation!! Not lethally wrong, but wrong enough that he tut-tutted me and shook his head LOL. So he showed me how to do it right and now I know definitely that I'm doing it right!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Ours was free through the QLD ambos too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We cannot for the life of us get the seats fitted as well as the professionals can do it. For some reason when hubby and I do it, the seat can still be moved, from side to side and forward and backwards. Not a lot, but still able to be moved. when we have them done professionally they cannot be moved at all, so we ended up buying seats for both cars and once they are installed they don't come out.

As PP have said, it's not illegal to do it yourself and totally up to you. Might be worth getting it done professionally the first time so you can see how firm they should be.

Thanks
    Reviews

We got ours put in before DD was born at Sinclair ford. Then we had to take it when we picked up our glider seat and couldn't get it back in as tightly as they had so went back to get it installed again. As soon as we showed them the paperwork from the first installation they did it for free and told us we can come back to get it put in as many times as we want for free. Definitely worth it since we can't get it in as tight and secure as they do!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Just*Ace View Post
    We got ours put in before DD was born at Sinclair ford. Then we had to take it when we picked up our glider seat and couldn't get it back in as tightly as they had so went back to get it installed again. As soon as we showed them the paperwork from the first installation they did it for free and told us we can come back to get it put in as many times as we want for free. Definitely worth it since we can't get it in as tight and secure as they do!
    Ooh another penrith person ;-)

Thanks everyone for your input, I think we'll have a go at putting it in ourselves then take it somewhere to get checked, and tightened if needed :-)