+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Dogs & NYE

A little while ago on Facebook our local marina advertised their NYE event with fireworks, and people commented that it wasn't good because of the poor neighbourhood dogs...

Do you think venues should not have fireworks on NYE for the sake of the neighbourhood dogs, or is this a case of the fun police ruining one night of celebration?

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Fun police for sure. Its one night and fireworks go for what, 20mins if that? Thunderstorms can go longer than that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

wannawannabe  (19-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Miserable people who have nothing to do on NYE and want to spoil it for everyone else.
    If they are so worried about their dog put them inside.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dogs & NYE

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Fun police for sure. Its one night and fireworks go for what, 20mins if that? Thunderstorms can go longer than that.
    ^^^ I agree!!

There's one (or more) in every neighborhood, isn't there!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Here Kitty For This Useful Post:

wannawannabe  (19-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Totally agree. Seriously. Don't live near a place that has regular fireworks events if you have sensitive pets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was thinking that it was absolutely crazy when I read it...surely a responsible dog owner would make plans and considerations for their dogs on NYE?

I mean, it's not just fireworks, but there is usually loud parties and people in streets in many suburbs...and people deal with it and keep their dogs inside or something...

What kind of outcome do people expect? Oh sorry, didn't think of the neighbourhood dogs, we will cancel one of the only family friendly events in the whole area....

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dogs & NYE

We put our dogs inside NYE and Christmas Eve and Australia Day because we have neighbors setting off fireworks. Although it usually ends with my labby in the courtyard looking at the sky waiting for rain!

I do worry about dogs who freak out and get out of their yards as sadly I have seen a few pets hit on the roads out here after NYE it's very sad but I do agree that it is the owners responsibility to have them somewhere safe on evenings like NYE when people will have legit and dodgy fireworks going off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fun police.

I'm from England, and we celebrate Guy Fawke's Night every November 5th. It's legal to have fireworks in your back garden there, so I imagine neighbourhood dogs get even more of a fright!

People just keep their animals in on that night (and the nights surrounding it, as it can go on for a few days). It's not a big deal. Not all animals are spooked by it anyway. My cats (and dog) were always pretty uninterested in it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can't have NYE without fireworks! People should be expecting this and should prepare their pets for it.

In Darwin, they have Territory Day where on one day you can go and buy fireworks to be let off on the night. A few dogs get startled and escape but everyone is prepared. This year they had a total fire ban so the fireworks were only meant to be let off between say 6pm and 12am or something like tat. It's the idiots though that hold onto the fireworks and let them off whenever they like that ruin it. You would have them going off for weeks after even months after at all times of the night, there were a lot of terrified dogs around the place, much worse than the actual fire cracker night. Luckily mine didn't really care, they would sit in the yard and watch the neighbours fireworks go into the air

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Dogs & NYE

We always make sure our dog is either inside or locked in the shed with her teddy and a big bone when we know its fireworks night.

I don't want them to stop fire works!!