+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Turn appliances off at the wall when not in use.

Use blankets in winter instead of turning on the heater all the time.

Only turn air on on when you really need it.

Make a menu plan.

Put ten dollars on main bills every ftn, when the bill comes it will be much smaller .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Budgeting/Saving Tips

Make your own cleaning products!
    Vinegar, bicarbonate soda! You can use it for everything!!

Go on Pinterest for ideas!!
    Do all your own baking for biscuits, cakes, casseroles etc!!

Don't buy soft drink etc or alcohol unless your going out. Do you smoke? Quit!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Budgeting/Saving Tips

great ideas everybody! have just sat down with hubby to work out our budget and gee wizz the money we just throw away without realising!

Sent from my GT-I8150T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

You can make lots of stuff yourself very cheaply. Eg homemade yogurt, bread and washing powder saves thousands.

Have two nights a week where you eat eggs on toast or baked potatoes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My internet banking provides a service where it sends me pie charts of where my money has gone. I used to cry when I saw how much of that pie chart was taken up by child care

Anyway, you could do something similar. Look at your bank statement, work out where your money is going. Is there anything you don't really need (foxtel or other subscriptions)? Could you lower the costs?

I take my lunch to work daily, I have a ceramic mug with a lid which I fill if I feel the need with coffee before leaving for work as opposed to buying a take away coffee etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I've found some companies offer discount if they direct debit from your account ( our electricity does)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have set up a payment plan with electricity co where we $100 every fortnight or monthly so to avoid $600 every quarter. Also at preschool we keep our child's paintings to use as wrapping paper. You could bake for a friend and in turn they could care for yr children, or gardening.

Thanks
    Reviews

This is a budgeting tip rather than saving. For quarterly bills like electricity and water, have a look at how much your bills were on average in the previous year. Say your electricity bill is usually $300, pay an equal portion plus a little bit more (to cover inflation) out of each pay. So I get paid monthly so I'd pay about $110 per month. My bills usually arrive in credit or with a tiny amount like $20 owing.
    At the start of the year I sit down and write a list of all the gifts I'll need to buy that year, including Christmas, birthdays, mothers & Father's Day, Christmas etc, the amount I'll spend on each, and then add up that amount. Divide by 12 (or 26 or 52, depending on your pay frequency) and put that amount away each pay. We have heaps of birthday + Christmas gifts to buy in November & December each year, but we're never broke in January because we've spread out the cost over the year prior.

Thanks
    Reviews

Look at refinancing your home loan or other debts - interest rates are low now and you could save literally hundreds a month. Find one with free redraw or an offset account (most have free redraw), pay all your mortgage + bills money into there and then redraw it to pay the bills. The interest will be lower because the bill money will reduce the outstanding amount while it's in there.

We are a bit ahead on our mortgage so redraw for big bills like insurance or rates and pay a whole year at once. Makes a big difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    subbing