+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Alternatives to rice cereal

I started with pumpkin and puréed veges. I skipped rice cereal altogether.Try to hold off the sweet fruits for a while tho as bub may reject the veges

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Meat (lamb) was one of babe's first foods and she loved it, lots of good stuff for babies... I think broth is a very nutritious choice.

Thanks
    Reviews

I've started all my babies on mashed avocado.

Thanks
    Reviews

Also chicken and lamb bones.
    Food for fun until 1

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

As pp said the problem with rice cereal is that it is processed and void of nutrition and the fortified iron is harder to digest - fresh food is always best and after 6 months they can eat anything ( except honey)

We also did BLW so my DS in his first week of trying solids had - quinoa, avocado, egg, sweet potato, rockmelon, cucumber, goats yogurt, broccoli, carrots , pumpkin , tahini and beans!

Broth ( home made no salt) would be fine but you would not want him filling up on it, it's good to try and teach them to chew and swallow- at 8 months DS was sucking on a lamb cutlet and gnawing off pieces!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am going to delay rice and gluten this time (although rice was first food for DS1 and DS2). My DD is 4.75 months and she is having pureed sweet pumpkin, corn, apple, pear, blueberry. I purchased some organic pouches. I checked the labels beforehand as alot of pouch and jar foods contain rice or gluten. Once she is 6 months, I'll introduce rice once in a while, then protein. She is getting a highchair for xmas, so I will soon start lining up pieces of food for her to pick up and eat, although I haven't done BLW. By the time she is 12 months, I reckon she'll be eating what the family eats It happens pretty quickly after about 9 months (from memory!). All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Alternatives to rice cereal

Rice cereal is suggested as a first food as its the least allergic food there is nearly. I too would skip it and do puree fruit and veg, but try to do more veg and don't mix it with fruit as many babies develop a sweet tooth and veggies dance hard to feed down the track.

Be aware that potato, bananas and apple's can cause constipation, so if you are doing one food at a time, start with pears, sweet potato, pumpkin, peas and carrots, then startbmixing the others in.

Thanks
    Reviews

Avocado is a good one to start with, mash with a fork.
    I don't buy the whole 'hold off on fruit so they don't reject veggies' because breast milk is very very sweet so they already know what sweet is. I just feed my baby's whatever we have in the fridge, mashed. Beware that banana should be very ripe, like ready to rot/ make a banana cake ripe, to avoid tummy aches. I wasn't aware of this first time and my poor bub had awful pains and constipation.

Thanks
    Reviews

That is so good to know the last thing we need is constipation!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i will put a different spin on this one. I agree no need for rice cereal. My only advice is whatever you feed bub do it for 3 days to see if there is any negative reaction. (allergy). i know many people believe this is only needed if there is a family history of allergy but i am a mum of 8 and number has anaphylaxis and allergies. no one else in either family has it. it is really hard to determine what a person has reacted to if they have had many different things. (although an allegy can happen even if the food has been consumed before with no problem). I had an extemely cranky baby and after weeks of stress found out he is lactose intolerant, not picked up until he had a severe rash from me touching him after touching egg. he was also found to be anaphylactic to egg..(found out the hard way) also allergic to but anaphylactic to wheat and soy. has problems with some fruit and vegetables as well. once i started to do the one food for 3 days it was easier to work out. until this child ihave always just fed my kids anything they wanted. obviously im probably over reacting but thats cos of my experience now in my non allergy family. just thought i would give a different thought is all.