+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default D.I.Y Wedding

Has anyone had a DIY wedding? How was it etc & was it cheap. Has anyone bought a dress of eBay?

We are currently planning our wedding for November 2013 we are paying for it on our own & I was wondering if a DIY can be done?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

Default D.I.Y Wedding

What exactly do you mean by DIY? We had a very simple wedding and reception. Everything from the dress to the rings to food and celebrant for under about $6000. We had to pay for it all ourselves so tried to keep the expenses down.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default D.I.Y Wedding

Not sure what you mean by DIY.

I wouldn't buy a dress off eBay as everyone I know who has has regretted it. You can get some bargains out there though. I actually bought three dresses (Long story lol). If you PM me your size and what your looking for, and one that I didn't use fits that would be happy to work something out. Otherwise I would suggest waiting for sales. The dress I actually wore I only bought 2 weeks before my wedding and it was on special for really cheap!

Also I would advise using a venue. Our overall costs were pretty low. We got married at the venue and they had really bargain prices which include even a lot of decorations it was totes worth it and cheap as far as weddings go.

Try to keep your guest list to around 50 people. You'll enjoy the day more and be less exhausted and save money.

PM me what you're thinking about and where you are and I can put you in touch with people we used for various things. We also had a great photographer who was really cheap as she normally works in the states. She is usually in n melbz that time of year though.

eBay is good for some things for wedding but dresses are just too risky in my opinion!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default D.I.Y Wedding

We did alot of stuff on our own. My DH and I couldn't afford a large wedding.
    I got my dress made online for $200.
    I made my veil for $13 copying a $200 veil I saw in a store. I downloaded a how to off the Internet. I made the jewelry and my head piece.
    My maid of honor and I made the flowers, made the invitations, made the cake, made the food and made the decorations. Spend 2 - 3k in total. The Celebrant being the most expensive thing.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: D.I.Y Wedding

Go to young house love and check out their wedding... Or the etsy wedding blog. Pinterest has some handy links, and I like off beat bride I've found some AMAZING free wedding invites there.

But yeah... Need more details about what you want, how many people, what sort of wedding... Do you want a church wedding? Family friendly? What is your budget? Do you want a casual BBQ? Or a formal sit down dinner? What were you hoping to DIY? What skills can you access from family and friends?

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I did a lot myself and purchased alot online. You can buy a dress from eBay, just check the seller reviews and also google search reviews as you will no doubt come across someone on a wedding forum/blog that has purchased from the seller. Make sure you order your dress well in advance to alliw time for alterations, returns, etc.
    You can do everything diy from food to bouquets, it's just a matter of what you're willing to make. There are a lot of cheaper alternatives to flower bouquets these days that you could try to make or buy cheap, have a search on etsy.
    Things like table runners and chair sashes can work out cheaper to buy off ebay, rather than hiring, and you can sell them when you're done.

Thanks
    Reviews

I am currently planning my wedding, i'm doing it by myself.
    Dress off ebay for $79 and it's perfect!
    Flowers from ebay $119
    Ceremony booked $330
    Reception booked $70 per head
    Rings from ebay $36
    Photographer booked $300
    That's it so far

Life; it's what happens when you're making other plans

Thanks
    Reviews

Default D.I.Y Wedding

I did our wedding on the cheap. I bought a dress off the rack. How this works is, all the dresses that you try on in the shops are samples. At the end of the season , bridal shops sell those dresses really cheap. You will probably need to get it altered and possibly dry cleaned. I think I got my dress for $1250, but if I had have ordered a brand new one, made to fit me, it was a $3500 dress.

I had no bridesmaids, no best man for dh. We just asked my sister and dh's mum to be witnesses.

We got married at our reception venue, at 1pm, then had a 7 course cocktail party as our reception that finished at 6pm. If you don't have sit down tables, you don't have to decorate the tables, have place cards or seating arrangements.

We paid in cash, got a discount and an upgrade to French champagne.

I bought my veil and headpiece off eBay, for like nothing. A couple of dollars each. You can also get great guest gifts off eBay.

I have heaps more tips, like, speak to your florist, order a bouquet of flowers that are in season, this will make it heaps cheaper. Also, I made my own throw away bouquet. I picked up my own flowers rather than having them delivered. Same with cake.

Anyway, yes you can DIY your wedding. But, it was very time consuming, and a little stressful.

Thanks
    Reviews

Go to young house love and check out their wedding... Or the etsy wedding blog. Pinterest has some handy links, and I like off beat bride I've found some AMAZING free wedding invites there.

But yeah... Need more details about what you want, how many people, what sort of wedding... Do you want a church wedding? Family friendly? What is your budget? Do you want a casual BBQ? Or a formal sit down dinner? What were you hoping to DIY? What skills can you access from family and friends?

Diy doesn't mean cheap. I know someone who made her own invites and spent $10 per invite.

My wedding plan:
    - dress: something printed cotton that I can wear again or something I can dye and wear again. Although there is one stunning dress with an ombre tulle skirt which is AMAZING. I don't want to spend money on something I'll never wear again!
    - bridesmaids: theme rather than set dress. For example: One bridesmaid is tall, blonde and broad shouldered, another is tiny and dark. One is a clothing designer, another hates dressing too fancy. I figure if I say something like: find a blue polka dot dress you like and that's your bridesmaids dress! Or maybe they can wear different coloured polka dots. I'm also tempted to get each bridal party member to wear a different colour of the rainbow... My best male friend already has a red suit so that would work out for him If they like it and will wear it again, then I don't feel bad asking.them to pay for it themselves a friend sewed blue patchwork skirts for all her bridesmaids, which they wore with plain blue tops from supre. They looked AMAZING and her bridesmaids all got to keep the skirts which was a lovely memento!
    - location. I would LOVE to marry in my backyard, but I don't have a backyard. One day, hmm? I might also choose to get married at my church which is lovely. It's very small. Another lady from church was married there and it was beautiful. One woman brought lots of lavander from her garden, which the other ladies turned into bouquets with fresh folliage and that went on the end of the aisles. Her bouquet of roses came from another church members garden. Afterwards, all the guests just had afternoon tea. Lovely and simple.
    - food. Dp wants to have a backyard BBQ. I like the idea, as well as getting people to bring a plate. Hell, I could even get a subway platter, and why not?
    - guests. I have 136 facebook friends. I'm an anti social loser there are 50 people I'd probably invite from my side, and 30 would probably show up since my 50 potential guests are so widely spread.

I have a friend with a bakery, so I might ask for mates rates I also have friends with design skills. So yeah.

That's just a bit of a starting point.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default D.I.Y Wedding

My wedding is in march and is going to be less than $2000 coz that's all I have! We were originally planning on a budget of $10,000 then I got pregnant and that plan went to the dogs. I already bought my dress for $1000 as a off the shelf type dress. Reduced from $2500.
    We are basically having the ceremony at the lake (free), celebrant $300, photographer is a work colleague just starting to get into photography so charging me $300. Bridesmaids and groomsmen supplying own outfits. Making a bouquet out of old flower brooches I've collected on the cheap. Bridesmaids probably just hold a rose or something. Then reception is at the local hall for $100, and I have family and friends helping out with food by bringing salads and desserts etc. then just cook up a bunch of meat. The when all the oldies and kids go home everyone who wants to party are going back to our house for music and drinking in our back yard! Will be fun I can't wait