+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thumbs down Instagram policy changes

Instagram have made some policy changes to their privacy policy which include your photos being sold as non-exclusive, fully paid, royalty free images- which means they will sell them to advertisers (and the like) without your permission or notifying you AND you get no credit for the photos or funds.

You can't continue to use Instagram and decline these policies. The only way to protect your photos from being sold is to delete your account before the 16th of January.

"You hereby grant to Instagram a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license to use the content that you post on or through the service," the new terms of service state.

"You agree that a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos, and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you."
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/aust...-1226540091538

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Once you load something on the internet its a free for all anyway. Probably lucky they are giving a warning.

Does this mean I wont be inundated with grainy, 'artistic' pics of peoples food anymore?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

babycake  (19-12-2012),Guest654  (19-12-2012),haveheart  (19-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Once you load something on the internet its a free for all anyway. Probably lucky they are giving a warning.

Does this mean I wont be inundated with grainy, 'artistic' pics of peoples food anymore?
    Haha....most likely!

Though I am sure eager Instagram lovers will just use Hipstermatic or one of the other services...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Default Instagram policy changes

Yup, there are other apps that do the same thing!

At the end of the day, when you sign up to use someone else's service you agree to their terms and conditions which usually includes a line to the effect of "and all future changes to these terms and conditions", if you don't agree with them then you don't use it like you said. This reminds me of when people were putting up FB statuses that tried to be legal saying FB can't use their stuff. I kept commenting and saying "you know this means absolutely nothing, right?".

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

The Facebook thing is usual Australian copyright law anyway that people were posting but cause its American I guess that doesn't count iunno, I don't care anyway - who would be interested in my Facebook? It just has me complaining about cat fur on my clothes and me grumbling about having to pay $775 last week to fix my car. It's not that interesting.
    But I hashtag my Instagram photos so that they get noticed so why would I care if they were used in an ad? In fact that would be pretty swell if they were used. Strangers prob won't realise it's me unless they search the pic, but my followers and I will know and that's good enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it only if u hashtag ur pics that they can be used? Or is it any pics you upload as my instagram is set to private?

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

I'd say realistically they'd only use hashtagged ones simply because it'll have all the views and comments anyway, but I think it would include all photos. I haven't read the terms and agreements as I haven't used Instagram for a couple months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Instagram has released a disclaimer relating to the policy changes stating that no consumer images will be used in advertising. Not worth stressing about IMO

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    How do i delete my account? I dont have the app anymore as my android phone died

Nmgb is offline No relationship is all sunshine, but two people can share one umbrella and survive the storm ♡
    Thanks
    Reviews

They've changed it all now apparently it was just badly worded so they have now re-worded it