+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How does your garden grow?

So we would like to get some gardens going. Problem is I have a 'black thumb'. I refer to one corner of the yard as my garden of death.

We tried planting Red Robins along the front of the front yard and they died. The soil has a lot of sand in some parts. What would be the best way to prep the soil and also maintain it so they can grow?

Out the back I would love a vegetable garden. It's just normal soil out there. How do we prep that? I would like a mix of cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, lettuce, maybe some strawberries. Is this achievable?

If it helps we're in south east qld.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated. TIA :-)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

troopingfairy  (26-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump... hopefully there's some gardeners on now :-)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

troopingfairy  (26-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingchipmunk View Post
    So we would like to get some gardens going. Problem is I have a 'black thumb'. I refer to one corner of the yard as my garden of death.

We tried planting Red Robins along the front of the front yard and they died. The soil has a lot of sand in some parts. What would be the best way to prep the soil and also maintain it so they can grow?

Out the back I would love a vegetable garden. It's just normal soil out there. How do we prep that? I would like a mix of cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, lettuce, maybe some strawberries. Is this achievable?

If it helps we're in south east qld.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated. TIA :-)
    Hi there I'm only new to veggie gardens myself, though hoping I might be able to help.. Hopefully I can

First thing to remember is.. It's always a learning experience.. If something dies or doesn't do too well, try again. You can only learning from trying things out.

I'm not sure about the sand/soil issue in the front yard. Do you have a nursery or even a bunnings or masters store nearby? If you are on facebook at all, search for "Masters" - you can actually post questions about soils ect and an expert will answer any questions you have I have only just found this source myself lol and trust me, I have gotten heaps of help, tips and advice there!

With the veggie garden, I am growing herbs, tomato, capsicum, onion, chilli, oranges and guava. With all of these I have mixed some blood and bone (can get from most hardware stores and nurseries) and average potting mix around the area where the roots will sit/seeds are planted.. I learned the hard way recently.. I sprinkled more blood and bone at the top of the soil (exposed to sunlight) and my dog dug up my entire veggie garden So word of warning.. make sure soil/potting mix is the only thing exposed to air around your garden or else you will attract all walks of nature!

I also mix 3 caps full or SEASOL with 9 litres of water every 2 weeks and water the veggies/herbs and fruit trees with this. Keep to watering the soil only carefully, as any soil splashed up onto leaves of veggies can cause some problems (mainly tomatoes i think?) The seasol has a mixture of seaweed and some other goodies which help plants deal with the heat (good in Qld!) and also makes healthier plants/veggies with more flavour and colour though I'm yet to harvest my first tomato - I have 6 almost ready to pick

Otherwise, water everyday and they love sunlight! Just monitor any fruit veg that begins to grow and make sure it doesn't get burnt from the sun ect and check for pests on the leaves regularly. I know I'm a bit obsessed with my plants, but I usually get out every morning before the kids wake up and check the leaves/fruit and veggies for any pests, holes in leaves or brown spots etc.

Tomatoes can have a few things go wrong so read as much as you can on them, including anything else you plant - helps a lot!

Try www.burkesbackyard.com.au - search for factsheets on the veggies you decide to plant.. you will find plenty of information and advice!

Also try http://www.abc.net.au/gardening - There should be some old episodes of gardening australia starting back up in a few weeks, I think it's usually on Saturday evenings at 6 or 6.30pm

Hope this is of some help!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to troopingfairy For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (21-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Compost is the best thing to prepare the soil for veggies. And composted manure. Dig it all in well & leave it a week or so before planting. If the weather is good things will go better. Last year it rained so much here (Sydney) that I got a lot of pests & it was hard to be out there tending to the garden.

My dog was also the biggest pest of all. We now have raised beds - mostly to keep her out! But also you can put a lot of compost and quality soil in them & not be a slave to the sandy or clay soil in your area. Good luck!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (21-01-2013),troopingfairy  (28-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Sandy soil I'm not sure if you use Gipson?

I use dynamic lifter, chook poo, hay, compost etc. best soil ever

10. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (21-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    SEASOL everything. You can't go wrong with seasol.

For our garden, we dug in lots of manure and let it sit, before we planted out seeds. Then we put mulch all over the top.

Would you get a raised veggie bed, or one in the soil?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missbean For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (21-01-2013),troopingfairy  (28-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How does your garden grow?

Forgot to check on this

Thank you very much for the advice and info ladies.

I'm wanting to plant into soil. If we decide to move though would I be able to dig up plants and pot them or would this be too much stress?

Thanks again for all the replies. They're great

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub