+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Changing primary schools

Have you ever had to move your child from one primary school to another ( just once). Ds begins school in 2 years, so that means in approx 12-18 months will need to enroll him, except offers etc.
    However we are thinking of moving to a different area in around 2 years, but we probably wont know where at around enrollment time which makes it hard if schools zone areas.
    I dont really want to move him to a different school in grade 1 or 2 but might have too. What do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

We moved our son in grade 1 to a school a hour and a half from where he was and he will be starting a new school next year (grade 3) where he will stay in until high school.

Apparently it's easier and better to move them, they make friends easier.
    When they are really young,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks.

Bump

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS just finished grade 2 at a different school than he did kindy-grade 1. We moved last December and had to enroll him at this new school. He was full of excitement at moving and couldnt wait. All during the holidays he drew pictures of what his new school would be like and him in his new classroom etc.

Then school started and he was faced with the reality of a new school. He makes friends easily but really really missed his old school and his old friends. It took at least half the year for him to start letting go of his old school and start enjoying this one...broke my heart every single morning when I dropped him off. Most mornings I cried when I got back to the car because I could see the sadness in his little face, yet he was trying to be brave and carry on because there was nothing we could do about it. Tearing up thinking about it

Anyway, last night as I was tucking him into bed on his last day as a Grade 2 he got tears in his eyes and I asked why and he said "I want to go to school tomorrow". So it seemed to work out ok in the end. He still asks about visiting his old school and friends but we have told him we cant move back there and easily explained the zoning problems (the old school is a 30min drive from where we are now).

ETA: I moved alot as a child and HATED it but you gotta do what you gotta do.
    Last edited by London; 19-12-2012 at 09:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I moved schools in grade 3 and it was completely fine! It was a huge change to as I went from a school of 70 to 700! lol
    Change can be good

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I started prep in one country, moved back to Australia half way through the year and started at a new school, did two terms there but my parents weren't happy with the school so I left at the end of prep. Went to a different school for years 1-3, then went to a different school from year 4. (Changed three times in high school also).

I found changing schools when I was young fine. Kids change friends at the drop of a hat anyway.

Changing in high school was really really hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Can u enrol in that school in the new area if its close? We did this with DS as we knew in a few years we'll be moving further in towards the area and saves up rooting him halfway through his primary years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjong View Post
    Can u enrol in that school in the new area if its close? We did this with DS as we knew in a few years we'll be moving further in towards the area and saves up rooting him halfway through his primary years.
    Thats an idea, but we are not 100% sure which area (2 suburbs we like that are sort of close to each other) also some schools are strict on zones.
    But when DS is 4, we might have a better idea (he is 3 now)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Changing primary schools

We moved interstate when DS was in year 1. There were only 6 weeks left of the year and he coped fine.
    He made new friends within hours and was happy at the new school.
    He just finished year 2 today and everything is still going great. He has said he much pefers his new school over the old one.
    I think when they are that young they tend to adjust and cope with the change extremely well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub