+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids have to go to time out in their rooms until they calm down. DD in particular throws whoppers and can not be reasoned with at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is probably competing for your attention, since you have a new born in the house. But DS is also a toddler which could also be why he is throwing a lot of tantrums. Like what most parenting books say, when a child throws temper tantrums, the best therapy is to IGNORE. But make sure that he will not hurt himself. And when he is calm try to talk to him and explain why he did not get what he want in the simplest way possible. Also, make sure to spend more time with your toddler as often as you can so he won’t feel left out. Involve him in caring for the new born like you could ask him to pass on the nappy or the bib to you. This way he could feel a little responsibility towards the smaller one, and this could also be a great way to bond. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do you deal with tantrums?

Quote Originally Posted by mmy2b View Post
    Does your newborn happen to be about a month old? Ds went through some major behavioral changes when both his brothers were born. We found giving him some special one on one time with mummy or daddy each day helped. Even if I took new bub for a walk when daddy got home so he could spend some play time with daddy.
    DD is 2 months now. DSs behavior got worse about a month ago I really hope it's a phase, a short phase!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How do you deal with tantrums?

Agree with other posters.
    Also what helped us was telling our DS1 he was such a big boy yada yada yada. Getting him to help with DS2, and saying ds2 is only a baby.
    We tried to make him the centre of attention, over DS2 at times do he felt special too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From my experience, it took about four months (sorry) for my DS1 to finally accept the new family dynamic after DS2 came along. DS1 was 20mths old when his brother arrived so about the same as your DS. First it was love, then take it back, then finally he accepted that DS2 was not going anywhere. Its really tough on the little ones with Mum and Dad not being so available anymore and having to share their parents.
    I agree with a previous poster, move everything you don't like him touching and be organised - save favourite toys/books/tv shows for when you really cant be with him (feeding etc). Keep sometimes foods (lollies) out of sight. My DS2 is 21mths atm and he wants fruit, cornthins and sultanas because that is what he sees! (Sultanas are sweet little bribes sometimes and are healthier than lollies)
    Ds1 always wanted to dance with me too which is tricky with a new born. I would put the music on and 'dance' round the room with him while rocking the newborn to sleep. DS1 was happy cause I was involved and the baby would go to sleep and then DS1 and I could have our one on one time once the baby was in the cot.
    If you can remove most of the tantrum triggers or predict when one may be coming about and use distraction you may be able to cut them by half! Good luck, this too shall pass and then you'll be pulling your hair out about the silbings fighting all-day-long.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 1492 For This Useful Post:

tubster  (20-12-2012)