+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default sugar free. soy free, wheat free, dairy free, preservative free, egg free, coconut...

Hey all! I’m totally new to this allergy thing.
    I’ve actually really enjoyed going through the threads here. It’s been a real eye opener… and I used to think I was healthy. Sigh.
    My best friend has recently been given a list of foods by the doctor that she can’t eat. She’s my best friend, so OF COURSE I’m going to find ways to feed her! Plus, I think it would be good for us.
    (I’ve also told DP our new years resolution is to get rid of sugar in our diet. Since quitting smoking this year, he’s turned to lollies… I’ve compromised to “ok, you can’t buy anything with sugar in the top four ingredients.”)

Here is the list I’ve currently drawn up of what bestie can’t eat.
    No way.
    Cane Sugar.
    Soy, including tofu, but seems miso ok in small one off doses.
    Wheat
    Gluten
    No breadcrumbs (no small doses.)
    Most preservatives.
    Dairy.

Mostly no.
    Almonds.
    Coconut
    Parsnip
    Tuna
    Eggs
    Beef.

Doesn’t like
    Chinese food.
    Salami

Can do.
    Corn and corn grain.
    Seeds, ie chia and quinoa.
    Zymil milk.
    Honey
    Maple Syrup.
    Stevia.

Haven’t tried
    Goat’s milk and cheese.
    Fennel

It’s a work in progress, I’m adding things to the list as we go. Her favourite food in the whole world are potatoes, and nandos. She also loves Hog’s Breath, just to give an idea of what she likes.

To complicate things:
    Her DP and my DP won’t eat seafood.

My DP also won’t eat (because he’s a picky mofo):
    - anything spicy or exotic.
    - noodles. (pasta is ok.)
    - Rice.
    - Rice paper.

But he’s generally happy to just eat fruit loops for dinner if I cook something “fancy.”

We have a bread maker… can I make her bread without sugar and wheat? I’m pretty sure I can, but a lot of recipes I’ve found need sugar… Can I use some non wheat flour to make damper? How does that turn out?

Sauces- any brands that I could look at? She’s finding it hard to find sauces without all the stuff listed above. Is there stuff I could make?
    I’ve been eyeballing beetroot relish. Even though most recipes call for sugar, since beetroot is naturally sweet, I thought I could leave it out. Anyone tried this?

So. Anywhere online anyone can recommend? Any brands? Any recipes? Suggestions? Her diet is quite paleo looking, so I've been looking through there for inspirations. Thank you in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default sugar free. soy free, wheat free, dairy free, preservative free, egg free, coconut...

Wow Missbean...that is a heck of a list - and not too far behind mine! Lol. Can I just say that you are a great friend for catering to her needs - most of my friends just ask me to bring something I can eat when we have dinner parties etc and it is quite upsetting.

I eat a lot of soup and Asian food tbh, it is very vege based and I use herbs instead of sauces because of additives etc. if u are buying commercial sauces, check all of the different names of things (ie I am allergic to corn so I have to look out for cornstarch, maize, certain thickeners etc).

I will dig out some books and pop the titles on here for you that might help...but for now, try some vegan cookbooks, they have been really great for me.

Good luck and high five again for being a great friend!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My mum has digestive issues and she basically can only eat boiled vegetable and some pasta... It's really hard to see her eat like that and I'm always on the lookout for something else she might be able to enjoy. Anyway I just wanted to say try going to the organic shops they have some out there foods (mum couldn't have olive oil anymore but we found corn oil which she can have :-))

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    ahhhhh the caveman diet..
    yep been there. Visit lots of fresh farmers markets as well as local health food shops for ideas. I hate cooking so I used to just eat alot of fresh uncooked foods and take loads of supplements and vitamins. especially since there is no soy or dairy... calcium supplements are a must. Good luck to your friend. Its wonderful you are supporting her. I used to hate eating out or at others houses when i was on the diet so its lovely that you care so much

Thanks
    Reviews

Hahaha thanks guys. It's just how we rolls I guess. I joke if we were lesbians I'm the wife and homemaker.

It's made me think about how much food prep we do, or are conditioned to do. Like look at snack foods... They are advertised and pushed onto you, and I end up forgetting how much I like chickpeas tossed with spices and warmed up. Or how good a carrot is. Seriously. Sometimes dp and I will start eating one and be all "why do we forget how good carrots are? Why don't we eat this more often?"

I was thinking vegan, but a lot of their recipes deal in coconut oil in lieu of eggs. And some have so much sugar! It's a bit nerve wracking being forced out of my comfort zone...

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bread is all trial and error I'm afraid. Please be very wary about using your bread maker if you have used it with gluten as even the best cleaning could leave traces behind and contaminate your loaf. We use a prepack mix for our bread but you still add sugar, you could probably just not add it though.