+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anal Sphincter Surgery after Third Degree Tear

Hi,

Hoping someone here may have gone through this and can offer some advice. I had my baby a year ago and still experiencing No.2 incontinence (I had a Third Degree Tear, Forceps Delivery & Surgery to remove a stuck placenta ). I have seen a colorectal surgeon after being referred to one after speaking with my GP. She has advised me my spincter muscle is badly torn and needs repair. The repair done at birth did not hold (nor was it picked up at my 6 week check - I was merely told by my ob that the continence could take up to a year to heal, If I had been checked properly I wouldnt have suffered the whole year doing exercises hoping it would get better in time! I must note my ob didnt deliver the baby as she was on holiday when it happened so her (butcher as I refer to her!) stand in did it.

Has anyone had repeat surgery to fix their sphincter. What was recovery like and did it help with your continence. Ive been told its an 80% chance it will work. If that doesnt they get more invasive with the repair technique. Im very nervous about hospitals and surgery!

I would like another baby but plans have been pushed back to get myself right first. My colorectal surgeon doesnt recommend I have anymore vaginal births after this injury at the risk of doing more nerve damage. Im petrified of a c-section, though what Ive been through I think it would have healed better if I had it the first time! If anyone has had this and gone on to have a second baby (vb or c-section, please share!).

Thanks for reading and hopefully someone out there can relate and help!

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have no advice but couldn't read and not offer

I had surgery at 1 day old to fix a congenital deformity including the anus so feel for you as I understand how devastating this sort of incontinence can be. I also had a c sec for my bub even though the dr said I could deliver naturally I was relieved when bub was breech as I did not want to damage any of the down below and go back to my initial life.

I hope someone can help you out with advice and you find a good surgeon, but you should def push to get it fixed and not keep putting up with this. I would prob get fixed before any other bubs, but would recommend a c sec for you xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for sharing what you've been through. I feel for you too. Its not a pleasant problem to have and its not something you widely talk about so very hard to find people that have been through it for advice and support. It does impact on your life more than you dare admit. I hope you are doing much better now though and enjoying being a mum.

Thanks for your views on a c-section. It would probably be the best option for me if I get this repaired as I wouldnt want to risk further damage. As the surgeon said muscle they can try repair but the nerve damage they cannot so it will never be 100%. Now if I could only listen to myself!

Thanks again for sharing

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    That's okay I hope someone else sees this for you and can offer specific advice for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. I've had a 3rd degree with first that healed well but my 2nd birth damaged the repair. I had a cs with 3rd because of this. Im not incontinent but the colorectal surgeon told me to expect it in 10 years because of the damaged sphincter. I was mildly incontinent after my 2nd but it got back to normal with kegels and a few years. I was given the same advice yo got about nerve damage and the risk of a vb therefore I chose a cs also bub was in a posterior position which is more likely to cause tearing. Recovery and experience of elective cs was so much better than my 1st vb but i want a few more bubs so it was a very hard decision to make. The surgeon also explained that the first repair is the most successful and in research usually holds off incontinence for 15 years so I'm waiting to get mine done when I need it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for your message. I was told too the repair normally only lasts 15-20 years then you may need another done as the muscles weaken as you age and also that you wouldn't want to repair it more than 3 times - hazy on the reason for that though, I'm going to check that on my next appt. I'm already 1 down on that with the bodgy labour repair! If you aren't experiencing any issues I'd definetly hold off. If I wasn't having any probs I'd hold off too if we only get so long out of the repair but have to think of quality of life if I continue how it is. I'm glad your c section recovery went well too. It is such a hard choice to make especially if your wanting a big family too. I think though your recovery speaks for itself though that you made the right choice. As much as I'm all for a natural birth. I'm starting to realise that isn't always best if the mother is giving herself lifetime injuries to do it and risking further damage to already damaged parts!

Thanks so much for sharing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The surgeon told me the tissue was difficult to operate on many times. I remember him saying it's soft like trying to stitch jelly. (Weird picture in my head lol) and because of scar tissue. If I tore again he said the repair could be very complicated. If I had incontinence they would have repaired me asap for quality of life. I seen 3 different surgeons for opinions and highly suggest this. I love natural birth too and wish I grew bigger hips and could have done it again, but when suffering consequences in daily life I also realise it's not always the safest way for every mum or bub.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for your info. Yes weird picture with the jelly lol but makes sense as to the limit on repairs. Thanks for clarifying. Comforting to know you've got a few opinions and have similar advice to what I've been told also so atleast I feel im getting the right advice. Happy New Year to you and your family and all the very best. Thanks again, you've been so helpful

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to offer support and hope that they can help you. I had 4 hours of internal surgery after a vaginal birth and episiotomy to fix internal tearing from vagina to cervix. I didnt have any anal tear (that Im aware of). Im 35 weeks now with baby #2 and Im nervous as ob wants to try vaginal birth again first.
    Anyway I just wanted to offer support hugs and healing love.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for your reply. Firstly congrats on No.2. In the home stretch now with not long to go! Exciting times.

I totally understand your apprehension at attempting another vb after your first experience. Just trust that they know the extent of your first delivery injuries and must feel you have a good chance of delivering naturally again without it reoccurring. It's hard not to think about your first delivery which ofcourse would make you nervous, but isn't there a saying your first is always the worst!? Keep that in mind and just keep positive that you've done it before and you can do it again.

Thanks again for your message of support. So thoughtful of you. Ill be sending you good vibes for a smooth delivery and a happy healthy baby