+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Bf'ing 8 month old ...and limited solids?

Hi
    I am bf my almost 8 month old...we started solids at 6 months, she had no interest at all before. In the past 2 months she has gained about 500gms....so it has slowed down..she is 9 kg so not a light weight...but should she have gained more or is this ok at this age... ? She is extremely active tho....commando crawling, crawling up stairs etc...

Also she really only likes yoghurt....a little fruit purée ...won't have a bar of vegetables etc....( she will gag and retch even sweet things like roast oumpkin and sweet corn) won't eat bread with cream cheese on it, banana etc blw stuff I guess either.....I feel like I'm still giving her heaps of bf..as she is not too keen on food, she wakes at least once a night sometimes twice for a bf....she is a bottle refuser. I guess im just starting to get worried that she isn't getting much iron being such a fussy eater so far ( my son was ff from 6 months and ate a much wider variety of stuff including veges) so mmmmm does this sound normal ? She just seems so attached to bfing......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

If your bub was hungry she would be feeding lots lots more. The fact that she is sleeping large blocks is fine.

I too only started solids at 6mths for both my girls. Dd1 was like your bub. 8kg at 6mths and 10kg at 1yr and not a big solids person till 10-12mths.

Remember food is fun till 1! And as long as you keep offering foods in different textures and flavours it's fine.

Today dd2 (6mths) munched on Bok choy whilst I was preparing dinner.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD2 is coming up to 9 months and she is having 5 breast feeds a day and two solids meals but the meals are small.

She flat out refuses to eat a solid breakfast. I've tried and I still offer most days but I usually can't get her to eat til lunch time.

Lunch time she will have half a cheese sandwich with the crusts removed and cut into tiny pieces (she doesn't have any teeth yet!) or maybe half a slice of cheese and soft fruit or purée.

Dinner time she has mashed veges, she'll eat about 1/2 a cup worth on a good night?

She doesn't like yoghurt, I'll keep trying though! That seems to be the only thing she's turned her nose up at so far.

She's also only about 7.5kg from memory, it's been a few weeks since she was weighed, but still a lightweight! My DD1 is the same, skinny minnies.....she's very active though, dragging herself all over the house to follow her sister around.

Try not to worry, each bub is different. Just keep offering and don't react if bub refuses to eat what you've offered

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did finger foods because DD refused to take a spoon, little independent chicken that she is.

She had a bird-like appetite until the last couple of months (she's now 14 months). She now has a massive appetite.

Oh and her weight gain slowed down as well. She dropped from the 97th at birth (and about 90th at 7 months) to 50th by 10 months. She was down to gaining about 150g a month and now that's gone up since her appetite as improved (which coincided with her learning to walk). She was meeting all her milestones so our GP wasn't worried.

So, I'd keep persisting and offering a range of different foods. Personally I would leave the purees, and offer finger foods in lots of different range, but that's just me.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Some brilliant posts by PP. BM is the most nutrient dense food/drink, be happy that your bub is feeding so much, so good for her! My DS only really started eating alot at about 13 mths and was in 97th percentile

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks...she sounds ok then...hopefully her appetite for food will improve later on. She seems to be a happy baby....was just confused as my ds really liked all my vegetable mixes I made for him....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whatever and however she is getting nutrition, it is her weight that I would keep an eye on. Losing weight is a big indicator of problems. Just had my 10 month old in hospital for 2 weeks getting milk feeds through a nasal gastric tube after she refused to take food or bottles. She is quite happy to BF though. Wasn't getting enough milk to keep her going though.

So don't worry at this stage about what it is that is going into her tummy, but keep monitoring her weight to make sure she is not losing weight.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tb2 For This Useful Post:

jfblady72  (18-12-2012)