+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When did your baby/toddler drop to one nap?

As the title suggests, when? DD is 9.5 months old and seems to be only taking an afternoon catnap instead of a sleep. Is this the first step towards dropping the second and last sleep?

Do they generally lengthen their first sleep first too? She currently sleeps 1 hour 20 minutes for her first sleep.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There is such a wide category for what is normal. I dropped my 7mth old to one sleep a day as she was starting to fight being put down in the afternoon. She is now 18 mths and sleeps 2-3 hrs at lunch time. It could be the start of going to one sleep. Life is too short to spend too much time, trying to get them to sleep I wasted hours with my first child becuase the 'books' said he should be having two sleeps a day. Try one sleep and see how bub goes. If they turn feral you can always put them to bed early for the night

3. The Following User Says Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

CuddlesAwait  (18-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: When did your baby/toddler drop to one nap?

My oldest dropped to one sleep at 12 months old and went from 2 x 30 minute cat naps to a huge 2.5-3 hour midday nap...

DS2 was a much better daytime sleeper and he was still having 2 naps a day until 18 months when he had to drop to one due to DS1 starting school and he stretched That nap out to 3-4 hours long. He is now 2.5 and sleeps for almost 3 hours every day.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

DS dropped to one big nap at about 15 months, then just has ( and still does now at 26 months) a 2 - 2 1/2 hour afternoon nap

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

DS1 dropped to one nap at around 1 year old. He is now 22 months old and still has one nap after lunch for about 2 hours.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to starla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

DD dropped to one nap at about 11 months. She was fighting her afternoon sleep and was definitely ready to drop to one nap as it was a pretty easy process. I just made sure we were out in the mornings to keep her busy when she would normally nap.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

About 10/11 months. He started not going down easily for the second nap and was also waking at sparrow's fart. I just pushed the morning nap later and later from 10 to 10.30 to 11 until it got to 12.

But a friend of mine's DD is 11mo and has 3 naps a day. She is an excellent sleeper though.

ETA: DS was doing 2 x 1.5 hour naps, after dropping to one within a week he was doing 3 hours.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

That's awfully young to be dropping down to one nap. Could you try having a longer break between when bub wakes up from the morning nap and goes down for the afternoon nap?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS started to struggle with his second sleep around 10.5/11 months but I kept pushing it for as long as possible. At 11 months he started to walk by himself and also had a growth spurt and really needed both sleeps. After than he didn't need the second nap anymore and was happy with just 1 day sleep by just after his first birthday. He was the first of all his friends to go down to 1 sleep and as far as I understand it 12 months is still fairly early to drop to 1 sleep.

If your DD is still taking a shorter nap in the afternoon then she probably still needs it, just not a bit sleep any longer.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

DD is 18.5 months & still on 2 naps

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lolakitty For This Useful Post: