+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Christmas traditions

What are your christmas traditions?? Ds is 18 months old and I am wanting to start our own little traditions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Christmas traditions

Putting out the stockings the night before and reading the night before Christmas.
    Spending Christmas morning just us as a family before we go anywhere else.
    We made salt dough ornaments this year and I'm thinking I could continue that as a tradition because DS (3 yrs) loved it.

When I was a kid we always had dinner at grandparents Christmas eve, then we would look at lights, go home and put out milk, cookies and carrots. In the morning the rule was we kids could open our stocking but we had to wait for our parents to get up to open presents. I will have the same rule for when our kids are older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was just wondering if it's too early this year to start the traditions or should I wait till next Xmas when he's 2.5

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I make snowman baulbals every year and I am going to start a tradition this year of watching a movie on the couch before bed Christmas themed of course. Oh and we will make chocolate spiders for Santa because he gets so many cookies

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    One of our traditions is that every year each child picks a Christmas decoration from Myer or DJ's - we 've been doing this since our first child was a toddler (so 14 years) and four kids later we have such a lovely collection, and the kids love getting them out each December and doing the "...remember when" etc, it's lovely

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (19-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

We make cookies for Santa ( and us!) put them outside on a Xmas plate with a bottle of ginger beer and carrots and a bucket of water for the reindeers!

Santa calls us every Xmas eve before he leaves the north pole ( my dad did it for us and now he does it for all his grandchildren) DS will love it- he is 26 months and loves talking on the phone!

Then we put our Santa stocking at the end of our bed and read the night before Xmas

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have started giving my children their first present on Christmas Eve, a pair of new pyjamas they can wear to bed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 79me For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (19-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Christmas traditions

Quote Originally Posted by tadpoles View Post
    In the morning the rule was we kids could open our stocking but we had to wait for our parents to get up to open presents. I will have the same rule for when our kids are older.
    We had that rule too, anything from Santa was fair game, but we had to wait for the parents to get up before we touched anything under the tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Santa calls us every Xmas eve before he leaves the north pole ( my dad did it for us and now he does it for all his grandchildren) DS will love it- he is 26 months and loves talking on the phone!
    Oh how cute is that!?! how special!

We definitely don't allow any presents to be opened before Christmas day. The suspense of waiting is what makes Christmas so special.

There's always a new outfit under the tree, and that's what you wear on Christmas day.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Christmas movies in the lead up to christmas. Especially christmas eve.

We make our own choc chip cookies and sants gets some. Magical reindeer food gets sprinkled on the grass for the reindeer before bed. Night before christmas book gets read. Only this year grandma just (yestertday) gave my twins a beautiful copy of it with her voice recorded in it reading it to them. They absolutely love it.

Christmas carols is a tradition for us along with driving to see pretty lights.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DH makes his late mother's pudding and each child puts in a couple of sixpence and then stirs them in.
    I read An Aussie Night Before Xmas on Xmas Eve.
    We lay out Reindeer Magic Dust (oats and glitter mixed together. The oats to attract them and glitter to guide them)
    I hope everyone has a lovely holiday!