+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Newborn should you wake to feed?

As topic says should I wake my 5 day old to feed?
    His last feed was at midnight and it is now nearly 5.30am and he is still asleep. We only came home from the hospital yesterday and I have had a bit if a freak out as trying to adjust to life with newborn out of hospital. Being from gold coast it was quiet warm yesterday and in hospital he was wrapped to go to sleep so trying to work how this will go on outside is stressing me out then my milk supply has gone through the roof and he is having problems attaching which is making me stress out to no end as am worried that he is not getting enough at each feed which can take up to one and half hours to do. Through the day he is roughly feeding every 3 hours. Am just worried that he is not getting enough feeds in during the day. He is doing wet and pooie nappies as well
    Sorry for the long post new mother having freak out. TIA for any advice.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As a general rule I didn't wake my bubs to feed. My ds had bad jaundice and was super sleepy from that and so we did need to wake him to feed him but only for the first week at home (he came home at 8 days of age). After that he didn't sleep much so it wasn't an issue . My dd I didn't wake to feed her at all. She came home from hospital without jaundice and nearly at her birth weight already and she stacked on the weight yet she had lots of 5 hour breaks between feeds. Having said that if I was uncomfortable and feeling like I needed to feed her, then the moment she stirred I'd get her up & feed her rather than expressing for comfort and waiting for her to wake.

I'd say to aim for 6 feeds in a 24 hour period. My dd would get those cause she'd cram in 3 in 5 hours in the evening, then go for longer gaps during the day.

Wrapping is great and my kids wouldn't sleep without wrapping. For my dd (bub #2) I used a Woombie which was fantastic as it was less bulk and so much easier to just zip her up rather than wrap and get up overnight to rewrap, etc. They have some pretty lightweight ones now (including ones with mesh panels) which would be good for summer.

Congrats on your bub and all the best for the adjustment to being home.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Newborn should you wake to feed?

Thanks mim1 it's nice to be reassured that what you as doing is ok we are a little concerned that he may be jaundice so am keeping an eye on that even though ped said he was fine to go home.
    I have an eco zip up wrap that I was using at hospital but it got dirty so it's in the wash ray for tonight though he did end up sleeping ok with just a light blanket offer him and short onsie so will see how we go tonight on that front.
    The midwives advised me against expressing as this stage until my supply has settled down. My left side seems a poor better today so hopefully the right does the same today as well.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DS is now 4.5 months old, so it wasn't long ago that I was in your situation.

I never woke him to feed and I just fed on demand, whenever he cried he got a nappy change and a feed. If he still kept crying I would try other things. Sometimes I was feeding every hour to hour and a half. He always seemed interested and enjoyed the feed.

He used to sleep 10-5 from 3 weeks to about 2.5 months old. At the time I worried if I should wake him but I never did. Now I wish he would sleep like that again!

So my advice is enjoy the bit of extra sleep now. Go with the flow during the day - In my experience DS would let me know when he was hungry.

Woombies are good but my DS didn't really like his. I just wrapped him with a stretchy thin wrap then put a warm blanket on (it was winter). A thin stretchy wrap might be all you need if your bub likes wrapping. You could also try a very lightweight sleeping bag like a grobag. DS loves his and has been in it for a couple of months now.

Good luck, enjoy this time while they are so tiny because it doesn't last for long
    Last edited by Taiyed; 17-12-2012 at 07:00.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm from the Gold Coast too
    The weather is warm if you don't want to wrap him plum Muslim wrap (material) sleeping bags from baby bunting are great
    I never woke my babies at night or during the day I only woke them during the day if they were not putting on weight

Thanks
    Reviews

My bub is 8 weeks old and when she was newborn I found trying to wake her a waste of time as she just wouldn't wake and if she did a little I latched her on but she would just fall asleep again anyway.
    Re the latching issues then if they continue I would ring hospital and ask what help is available in your area for a lactation consultant. Just remember that the first week especially there is a lot of changes with your milk coming in and engorgement so seek help if you need it because it soon passes and breastfeeding will be easier.
    And congrats on you new baby

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks ladies I did end up waking him changed his nappy he fed for about 10 minutes then went back to sleep so am just going to go with itfor now. I am going to take notes on his feed/sleep patterns and see how we go.I see the midwife next week for a weigh in so cantalk through any issues I have then with her.
    For the ladies on the gold coast do you have aircon in your baby's room or just fan?

Thanks
    Reviews

Make sure you discuss your feeding issues with the midwife/nurse when she comes. Feeding can be very difficult and a challenge at times. It's the one thing I really struggled with until DS was 3 months, now it's a breeze.

Glad to hear you are going with the flow. It's a huge change so make sure you look after yourself too

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm close to Gold Coast and we have a fan on for DS who is 9 weeks, they are also supposed to reduce the risk of SIDS as it circulates the air and stops carbon dioxide from pooling around their face

Thanks
    Reviews

Taiyed thanks yes I am starting to remember the challenges of it all ds#1 is 5 so has been awhile for me.
    Boxerdoglover thanks we just weren't sure and his room gets quiet warm in the afternoon we also have his door open to let the aircon in as well