+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cooking & freezing or prepping & freezing uncooked?

I've been doing some research on cooking in bulk and freezing, I'm just over having to think about dinner every day! I would love to get to the point where I just open the freezer and pick a meal that's ready to go.
    My question is: would it be better to cook and freeze or prep and freeze?
    For example cook bulk casserole and freeze then defrost and heat or prep meat veg and whatever else uncooked and freeze then defrost and cook?
    Im also really interested in the once a month cooking thing... Anyone tried it?

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Cook and freeze. What a PITA it'd be to have to defrost and then still cook it! Lol I wouldn't find that much easier at all.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    Cook and freeze. What a PITA it'd be to have to defrost and then still cook it! Lol I wouldn't find that much easier at all.
    yes

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Cooking & freezing or prepping & freezing uncooked?

Cook and freeze, all the way. I cook and freeze meals, then cook rice/steamed veg etc fresh. I usually just have one meals.worth of rice.in the freezer for emergencies. I also freeze small portions for daycare lunches so those evenings I dont have to feel bad if they.only end up having scrambled.eggs for dinner

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Cooking & freezing or prepping & freezing uncooked?

When I buy meat I buy in bulk and mince, dice, stirfry strips then freeze like that also as I find that helps when I have a cooking day, just get that out the portions I need the night before.

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree I'll just cook and freeze :-) hoping to branch out into some different stuff like with mince I might make lasagna nachos and chili con carne... Hope this works I really don't have the energy to make an inventive dinner every night anymore!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Definitely cook and freeze! I also buy foil or plastic containers, to throw out after, (like foil ones with lids for lasagna) to make it easier for our 'emergency' dinners. Eg. When I make lasagna I make two and then put it in separate foil containers. Freeze. Then I reheat in oven for 30-40 mins serve... Throw out foil container. Less washing up and they stack easy in freezer. Same for plastic too in microwave.
    Ok that got a bit long winded! Sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Definitely cook and freeze! I also buy foil or plastic containers, to throw out after, (like foil ones with lids for lasagna) to make it easier for our 'emergency' dinners. Eg. When I make lasagna I make two and then put it in separate foil containers. Freeze. Then I reheat in oven for 30-40 mins serve... Throw out foil container. Less washing up and they stack easy in freezer. Same for plastic too in microwave.
    Ok that got a bit long winded! Sorry.
    not at all long winded! If it can save me time money and sanity I'll take it btw great idea I hadn't thought about the foil containers! DH loves takeout so if dinner is not ready to go he'll want takeout, I also have family poppin in unannounced a bit so I could make a big lasagna and put it in a foil container and freeze it for those times!!! This is sadly extremely exciting for me

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    not at all long winded! If it can save me time money and sanity I'll take it btw great idea I hadn't thought about the foil containers! DH loves takeout so if dinner is not ready to go he'll want takeout, I also have family poppin in unannounced a bit so I could make a big lasagna and put it in a foil container and freeze it for those times!!! This is sadly extremely exciting for me
    Not sad at all! When I look at my frozen lasagnas or meals all cooked and in matching containers stacked in the freezer I get a little excited!!! Lol. Maybe that is sad.
    (Yes a frozen big lasagna for visitors is what I would do too!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I cook and freeze too. but i also prepare and freeze at the same time.

The one i like to do i make an enourmous biggest pot ever basic bolognaise sauce.
    Portion it all up and the freeze it. Then i can use it as a base for spag bol, lasagne, meatballs, vegie hiding meal, sausage rolls (with cheese YUM), this nacho-chicken noodle thingy i make etc
    It is so much better then making it from scratch.

I also cryvac everything so when i say seal lamb chops i put a few sprigs of rosemary and garlic in there to give it a nice flavour.

If it was something like a casserole or something i would put in a slow cooker for the day i would just pre pack it so all i have to do in the morning is open it, dump it in the cooker and walk away.

Another thing i do is cut up all my veg salads and fruit and put them in plastic containers (you know the chinese take away kind) as soon as i get home from the shops so during the week if i want a salad, just whip out the containers i need and its done in seconds with no dishes. Also stops me from waisting too much also.