+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I won't be discussing such things with my ds who is nearly 5yrs because it's not stuff he needs to know about. And I would actually be annoyed if such a matter was brought up at a school assembly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What...or ever ARE...you telling your kids?

Did they mention it at school OP? I haven't told my kids and won't. DD1 is the same age as lot of those kids and it would do nothing but make her more scared and cautious. She is already a very safety conscious kid and worries about things going wrong. I cry every time I see the photos but she wasn't around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No thankfully.

I called the school and was assured no, he wouldn't talk about it. But just to be on the safe side, I went to the assembly too. He did the usual stuff and then there's a bit where he gets the school to pray (its a Catholic school and they usually pray for 'something' IYKWIM) and he said "Today we're going to pray for children and their families."

Which I quite liked TBH because not a single child knew what he meant. They thought we were praying for children in general but the teachers and parents did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kalgirl View Post
    I would be shielding all young children from this. Turn the TV off or make sure they are out of the room when the news comes on. I would think that it's entirely inappropriate for this incident to be announced at an assembly in a primary school. As a parent, if I thought there was the slightest chance that it was to be brought up at a whole school assembly I would be calling the school early in the morning to let the admin know that I do not want my young children exposed to the news of the tragic incident.

When 9/11 happened we had at our school quite explicit strategies and responses that were age appropriate if the children brought the subject up. It was made clear to the teachers in our district that teachers were not to initiate the topic, only respond if a child asked.
    I tried to shield my children from 911. I unplugged the TV aerial and kept the radio off for a whole week ... then they returned to school and it was discussed in their classrooms at school so all my efforts were for naught. We still kept the TV aerial unplugged because I didn't seem it appropriate for them to see footage of the event, or be exposed to interviews with families effected.

PS: I dont recall why it was a week before my children went to school - perhaps it was hollidays, perhaps they were sick, I do not recall.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I won't be discussing such things with my ds who is nearly 5yrs because it's not stuff he needs to know about. And I would actually be annoyed if such a matter was brought up at a school assembly.
    I agree, my boys are still to young so unless my 5year old has seen/read/heard something about the matter and then of course i'll be talking to them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't actually sit down and bring this up with my 5 year old, but we also dont go as far as turning off the tv or radio so he's not exposed at all. My husband and I have also discussed it with each other while he's been in the room.

If he asked we'd answer honestly, but not graphically. We also approach things like death or situations where he sees and enquires about human tragedy in the same way (eg homeless people, a car accident on the way home etc).

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We wont be telling the children I totally agree they will gain nothing but fear from it. With DS1 going to pre primary and DS2 going to kindy next year the last thing I want to do is to fill them with fear over it