+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I hate watching kids put flowers on memorials ( like Jill Meagher ) they are like 6 yrs old wtf???

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What...or ever ARE...you telling your kids?

My children won't be hearing it from me or seeing it on the news.
    The only things I explain are accidents, for example when the poor little boy had the TV fall on him recently so we talked about not touching the TV or climbing near them.
    My 7 and 5 year olds don't need to know about evil people yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What possible good could come from explaining this to children around the same age as the victims? If it's terrifying for us as adults imagine how children going to school would feel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Re: What...or ever ARE...you telling your kids?

I'd call the school at 830 and have a quick discussion, or head onto the office for it. Just to check what their plan is

Spent from my dome. Excuse autocorrect

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by gizmoduckus View Post
    I don't think my kids need to know what happened yesterday and I will try to protect them as much as possible from finding out. Unlike learning about stranger danger, there is nothing that they will learn from this other than the world can be an evil place.
    Yep my 10 year old doesn't know ...and I don't think that she needs to know ...glad that we have finished school here already in QLD..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree turn the TV off. Studies on kids post 9/11 who had been watching the TV showed that the kids didn't grasp that they were watching repeats of the same events. Many kids thought that each footage they saw was another plane crashing into yet another building.

I am not mentioning it to my kids. I am not risking their feelings of safety they have at school or risking thenm developing a fear of school which is a place we promote as a safe haven. I don't think that there is any lesson they can learn from it at their age.

Thanks
    Reviews

I won't tell my DD and thankfully she is too young to understand. A thing I did hear to tell your children to focus on the helpers if they do see/hear about these things. In all those tragedies there are always people that are helping (police, firies, paramedics) and I thought it was a nicer thing to focus on, the good rather than the bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My kids 14 & 10 seen some news footage. I explained that our gun laws here in oz are much tighter than USA. An incident like that is unlikely to happen here.

However I did talk a little about what they could do to protect themselves in that scenario. We discussed hiding & where are staying quiet & locked in. It was a crappy talk to have but I thought it was good in practical terms.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ourbradybunch For This Useful Post:

meljemillie  (18-12-2012)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    my DD has not seen anything - and I am glad that they have finished school now, so dont have the concern of someone at school telling her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't really give this much thought over the weekend actually. It was discussed openly in front of DS and I never had any questions from him. Thinking about it now, I probably would have preferred I have had that conversation with him before he went to school this morning. Kids tend to over-exagerate and dramatise everything, I would have preferred DS to hear the truth and I have had the chance to explain the devestation and importance of such an event.

DS is 7, although he is very mature for his age.