+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What...or ever ARE...you telling your kids?

I highly doubt it would be mentioned at a school assembly but I would check before hand. I also think this would be highly inappropriate - especially for primary school children. High school would be different though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I see absolutely no reason for DD to know about it.

A couple of years ago there was an incident at kinder where they were looking at a newspaper and a kid pointed out a picture of Darcy Freeman and said "her Dad threw her off a bridge". None of the other kids knew about it prior to that. The kinder handled it really well and gave parents some guidelines on how to deal with and explain these sorts of events. All the recommendations and guidelines I have read say to limit media exposure as much as possible.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think children need to know anything about it. There's nothing that it could possibly achieve but confusion and fear.

I'd be calling to ensure that it wasn't going to be mentioned at the assembly. Children don't need to fear the place they go to every day.

Thanks
    Reviews

We are teachers and we certainly won't be telling our children (one is school age). I think it's pointless and will do nothing but incite fear in him

Thanks
    Reviews

Michael Carr-Greg who is a leading chd psychologist suggested to turn the tv off as there is nothing good for the kids to learn from this. If they did see it he said to tell them that you live them and that this happened a long way from where we live.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What...or ever ARE...you telling your kids?

This is not for kids to know. If it weren't for Facebook I wouldn't know either... We don't buy newspapers or watch the news (or tv on general very often) so I didn't even know until I saw it plastered all over my news feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wouldnt it make a child fearful of going to school?

I dont think they need to know. I cant possibly see what good could come of it.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My kids haven't asked about it, so I'm not telling them they are 4&6 and I don't think they need to know

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd be horrified to learn the principal bought it up at an assembly. I'd be going up and having words.

I didn't tell DD (7) of it. If she caught any snippets on tv it went over her head. It was hard enough explaining what happened to Daniel when they had Day for Daniel and she kept asking why they weren't looking for him anymore.

The fact that they practice lock down at the school in the event of such a thing happening is scary enough. I don't want her to know just yet that its practice because it's happened to other little kids before, at the moment she thinks its just practice.

Truly horrifying tragedy that took place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'm open with DD (7), and if she saw something and had questions, I'd do what I could to answer honestly in an age-appropriate way.

I wouldn't just come right out and say it though. Why? What's the need for it? Even if I say, "Oh, but that won't happen here..." who's to say she'll believe that and not go to school worried about something that is highly unlikely to ever happen to her? There's no reason to inform small children of these things, and I think an principal who thought it was a good idea to bring up with young children is an idiot (and would be telling him so if he did do it).