+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What...or ever ARE...you telling your kids?

Apologies if this has already been discussed but I couldn't find anything and I'd really like peoples opinions on this.

My children have no idea about yesterdays primary school massacre and I'm of the opinion that DD (who's 6) probably wouldn't handle it that well. She's quite a sensitive little soul but I also like to protect her innocence from the bad stuff in the world for as long as a can IYKWIM.

So tomorrow she has a school assembly where the Principal, I'm fairly sure, will bring it up. He usually likes to discuss current events in the world.

Would you sit DD down and discuss it with her prior to the assembly in case he does bring it up? Or shall I just hope he realises that perhaps 5 and 6 year olds are too young to be exposed to these things?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think my kids need to know what happened yesterday and I will try to protect them as much as possible from finding out. Unlike learning about stranger danger, there is nothing that they will learn from this other than the world can be an evil place.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gizmoduckus For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (17-12-2012),Eko  (16-12-2012),headoverfeet  (18-12-2012),me+he=3  (16-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

We have 5 under 8- my husband is a teacher as well so our kids from a young age go into his classroom. We discussed it quietly between ourselves and decided if the kids find out and ask we will tell them however due to how you g our children are and the fact that daddy works in a school and we have 1 starting prep next year we don't want the kids worried about school safety or fearing either themselves or daddy going to work. I am all for discussing world events but somethings I like to protect my kids from

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

me+he=3  (16-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I would be shielding all young children from this. Turn the TV off or make sure they are out of the room when the news comes on. I would think that it's entirely inappropriate for this incident to be announced at an assembly in a primary school. As a parent, if I thought there was the slightest chance that it was to be brought up at a whole school assembly I would be calling the school early in the morning to let the admin know that I do not want my young children exposed to the news of the tragic incident.

When 9/11 happened we had at our school quite explicit strategies and responses that were age appropriate if the children brought the subject up. It was made clear to the teachers in our district that teachers were not to initiate the topic, only respond if a child asked.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kalgirl For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (16-12-2012),LoveHeart  (16-12-2012),Maia  (16-12-2012),me+he=3  (16-12-2012),Phony  (16-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i think it would do more harm then good to tell my kids about this horrible tragedy. nothing would be gained from telling my kids - they are 4 and freaked out enough from the stranger danger talk at school.

if they were older and asked, yes i would discuss.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mum2twinboys For This Useful Post:

me+he=3  (16-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I won't be telling my 7 year old anything about it. She does not need to know. Its an adult issue that young children are not equipped to process. All it would do is make her anxious, maybe start a fear of going to school. Its a confronting and overwhelming issue for adults, let alone kids.

If I thought the school would mention it then I would keep her home, or talk to the teacher (or admin) before school to get some assurances that it won't be discussed. If my daughters school told them news like this I would be furious. Totally inappropriate, and damaging.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (16-12-2012),me+he=3  (16-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: What...or ever ARE...you telling your kids?

^^^ Same I'm changing channel and I generally avoid news at all around jasper.
    I would ask tomorrow if it's going to be mentioned.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

me+he=3  (16-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ladies. I never know whether I'm being too overprotective so it's reassuring to know that I'm doing the right things.

I think I'll do as suggested and call the school in the morning and just check.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Id hope the school would use its discretion and realise that although this is current news its not appropriate to tell children in a school environment as it might evoke fear amongst the students

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would be amazed if a school principal brought this horrible event up at assembly .. Kids have no need to know about this kind of thing !!