+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Who knows about dairy intolerances?

Hello ladies,
    So my DD is 2 weeks old. I'm wondering if she has a sensitivity to dairy, she vomits quite a lot, and will vomit projectile at least once a night, which ends up all over us both. She doesn't seem to be uncomfortable when she does it, but is sometimes a little unsettled.
    Yesterday i had a lot of dairy and ahe was quite vomity last night in comparison to the night before when I didn't have dairy.
    That is the only reason I think she might have this sensitivity. She has no other symptoms.
    What do you know about this? And could it be that she is just refluxy?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Who knows about dairy intolerances?

Sounds like a dairy allergy, lay off the dairy for awhile and see if she improves.

My mother has 4 kids all with lactose intolerance, we all were vomiting until she stopped having it.

Life; it's what happens when you're making other plans

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Cows milk protein intolerance is quite common. But it could equally be oversupply if it is at night. Babies are often unsettled. Babies do not get lactose intolerance. Lactose is the sugar in breastmilk and levels are constant no matter what you eat.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

Missbean  (17-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My DD is lactose intolerant and was a projectile vomiter. We had it after every feed and she had other symptoms too. One of the biggest signs is mucusy foamy poo, does she have that?

I would go off dairy completely so no cheese, milk, yoghurt ect and keep in mind it takes 2 weeks to be out of your system so u might see an improvement overnight. I had stopped bfding by the time DD was diagnosed but Paed told me this is what u do of BFing. My DD went in soy formula and was a different baby!

We have only now just started introducing dairy into her diet as most grow out of it after 2 years.

Am happy to answer any other questions :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Edit
    Last edited by Hopefully 2011; 17-12-2012 at 00:27.

Thanks
    Reviews

Also,OP, it's hard to say what it is, a lot of things have similar symptoms, it's worth checking with your CHN or paed. Good luck! =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

How is her weight gain? Is she generally fairly settled?

Cows milk protein intolerance is usually diagnosed because of a combination of reflux, green/foamy/ mucousy poo, tummy pain (pulling legs up) and in some cases failure to thrive. My DD had all of these but they didnt all happen at once. The poo took a while to get scary looking, but the reflux and poor weight gain were there from birth, followed by the pain.

I think your bub just sounds refluxy, and it's better that she's actually spewing than having silent reflux. Unless she has a few of the symptoms above the Dr is unlikely to believe she has an intolerance. You can try limiting dairy if you want, but to do it properly you should talk to your Dr or a dietician about doing an elimination diet.

Also, don't get lactose intolerance mixed up with CMPI. True lactose intolerance is a lifetime condition and can be tested for using a stool sample (although young babies often have a borderline result) whereas CMPI is usually outgrown in early childhood (DD had quite significant symptoms as a baby but at 12mo was able to eat cheese and yoghurt without an issue). Temporary lactose intolerance can be brought on by a bout of gastro or from taking antibiotics.

My advice is to keep eating a healthy varied diet and keep an eye on her nappies.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Missbean  (17-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

^^well said Cue =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Oh and also I believe reactions due to intolerances are often delayed as its a build up of the problematic food that causes symptoms as opposed to an allergy that would have a more immediate reaction. So if you stopped dairy you'd have to wait a couple of weeks for it to leave bub's system before you'd see a significant improvement. I think it's more likely a coincidence that your DD has a spewy day after you ate dairy but like I said, just keep an eye on it. If you're worried see your Dr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly it sounds like reflux, and being unsettled in the evening is very common for babies.

My son has dairy and soy intolerances, he would scream 13 hrs a day, barely slept because of being in pain and eventually stopped drinking all together. His poos weren't as bad as some.

You can try eliminating all dairy including in breads etc for at least 2 weeks and see if it makes a difference.

Otherwise if you have any other concerns see your gp. Good luck