+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I initially tried to resettle but it was fruitless, their eyes sprung open and then were awake and that was that.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (28-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Has anyone stopped their baby catnapping?

Quote Originally Posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    That's fantastic that you were able to break the habit.

Thanks so much everyone for responding. Another question, after ur bub woke from their nap did you persist with trying to resettle or just get them up? I've been getting DS up and then keeping an eye on his tired signs, which he usually gets another hour of awake time but I'm worried this is just reinforcing the shorter sleeps. He takes a very long time to settle even just for a 45min nap.
    If they wake up and are whingy or scrunch up their faces then I'd attempt resettling. My policy here is to only resettle or attempt resettling for the important sleep ie midday one here for dd2 as dd1 sleeps then too. If I can get them both to sleep for 1.5-2hrs I'm a happy camper.

But I don't resettle for the morning or late afternoon one. So today dd2 slept 45min at 8.30am and 2hrs at midday. She will have a smaller nap ie 30-45min around 4/4.30pm.

That way you don't spend your whole day resettling. Also as PP said - you might need to be home a week or two for the important sleep to reinforce the idea gently.

If he is taking a long time to sleep then bub is overtired.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (22-12-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I just wanted to add that it would often take me 45+ minutes to get DS to sleep for 40 mins. He was just so interested in the world and what was going on, always looking around and taking everything in. With DD she was permanently on the boob so she would just feed to sleep but as I said before, insisted in boob around the clock or at the very least physical contact otherwise she would wake regardless of how much sleep she had or hadn't ha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Has anyone stopped their baby catnapping?

I attempt to resettle if they have not slept for an hour... My baby is 18 weeks corrected. Having said that, the resettles are rarely successful and I am at the point where I just feel like giving up..there is only so long you can keep doing something if it does not seem to be working...although his current level of sleep leaves him a very cranky baby.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Last edited by Albert01; 17-12-2012 at 15:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Has anyone stopped their baby catnapping?

I always tried to resettle. I spent so many days stuck in her room trying to pat, shush, rock etc. I would start before she was due to wake (as the books tell you) but once she was awake, she was awake. In total, I'd say I use to spend more time settling & resettling than what she actually slept during the day. Hence I gave up in a wave of tears & frustration after a few weeks of it!

Sent from my HTC Liberty using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Has anyone stopped their baby catnapping?

My DD is a catnapper most of the time but is happy. Sometimes the catnapping suits me anyway!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My girl is 4 months old now and has only ever catnapped in the daytime. Sometimes she needs 4 x 45-60min sleeps each day. Nights are ok though but still needs night feeds as is strictly breast fed. The moment I tried to change her sleep routines and resettle her for day sleeps everything went to pieces. My advice is just to go with the flow and find a routine that works for you and your bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS2 is also ten weeks. If I make him nap in his cot, he would rouse and cry about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes and then I find it hard to re-settle (doesnt want dummy sshhing doesnt work) him unless I pop him to my boob where he snoozes.

Either that or the other way would be giving him a bit of milk (meaning I must standby some before he rouses!) then he re-settles, then I pop him into the auto swing, he can go on and sleep for up to 2 hours.

So my re-settling will only work if I pop him to my boob or into the swing.

If I leave him to re-settle himself (by crying) he would eventually cry himself awake. I think they just dont sleep as deep as they do at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen2010 View Post
    mine was a catnapper...but wasn't a happy baby with it. She'd wake and be so tired still, I'd cuddle her and she'd go back to sleep in my arms.
    At about 4 months I stayed home for a week and ensured all her sleeps were in her cot (ie none in the pram, car or carrier...where she'd happily sleep for 2 hours), and at the 40min mark when she woke I'd be there to shhh and pat her back to sleep before she properly woke up.
    Took about a week and she'd then have 2x2 hour sleeps in the day, and became a much happier baby.
    Was great for me as I was working from home so I managed a good chunk of uniteruppted time to concentrate.
    They are all different though, just do what works best for you.
    Mine loves to fall asleep and he doesnt mind me making him go to nap, but it is the re-settling that's the trouble...ssshhhing and patting just make him cry harder. Only the boob or a bit of milk will help him settle, then pop into the auto swing and he can sleep up to 2 hours.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my oldest catnapped until she went to 2 sleeps a day (around 12 months) but was a great night sleeper so I just went with it. The younger babies have to fit it with the family, and theres no time to take much notice of day sleeps