+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Someone breastfeeding your bub? What do you think?

Even though I'm pro BF I definitely couldn't. I'd try everything possible to build my own supply and failing that I'd resort to formula.
    For me it's not just about the nutrients and antibodies but the bonding as well and I wouldn't be comfortable with it.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Would I let my child nurse from another woman to help boost her supply because her own baby wont latch? Probably not, not unless she has exhausted all other avenues, I would offer to help her literally as much as possible so she could focus 110% on building her supply.

Thanks
    Reviews

Nope, wouldn't be comfortable with it at all. I wouldn't want her to form that kind of bond with anyone but me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    My first reaction (and I know this is probably not PC): low supply? Get a breast pump.
    I also don't know why she suggested that. She expresses two hourly but maybe that doesn't help increase her supply? I know I tried using a pump to help me do that but it hardly helped. And everyone says bubs best and her bub doesn't latch on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shouldn't she be focusing on why the baby isn't latching on?
    Will having a better supply help the baby latch on?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Would I let my child nurse from another woman to help boost her supply because her own baby wont latch? Probably not, not unless she has exhausted all other avenues, I would offer to help her literally as much as possible so she could focus 110% on building her supply.
    Good point. She did say if she has more bm she would offer to my bub as ebm. But by latching my bub on he is already getting bm from her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I would feed a good friends hungry baby and I would let a good friend feed my hungry baby. For supply I don't know if it would be a long term solution but as another has mentioned it helped someone they knew baby learn to latch properly.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (15-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for giving me your perspectives. I am at first excited that my bub can grt more bm as my supply is low but then I am in two minds, ESP after asking DH, he is totally no no.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have happily donated my milk to another baby, but I have had actual nightmares about my baby being breastfed by somebody else. The thought really freaks me out. I have no idea why. I guess it's like some women are really possessive of their husbands, I'm super attached to my babies. But not my breastmilk once it's in a container; that's anybody's.

Thanks
    Reviews

This really has me thinking, especially just after my first midwife appt yesterday, having just discussed options for feeding once bubs is born.
    I will definitely be unable to breast feed my baby this time and if I have another premmie baby I may need to utilise the milk bank to give all those natural antibodies. For the sake of my baby's health would I consider using a wet nurse... Hmmm, I'd like to think I could but emotionally I think it would destroy me. I already am mourning the loss of the ability to breast feed my own child but I have a good friend who wet nursed other children in hospital in the 70's and I always thought that was admirable...