+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tell me your experience of OHSS

I've been suffering from mild ohss for about 6 days now and was wondering what people did to relieve their symptoms. Also i read that if you get ohss then it means you definitely have cysts on your ovaries.... Is this right? If so what do you do to get rid of them? I guess they just go naturally but I wonder how long that takes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's awful
    First time I spent a few days in hospital where they monitored my liquid intake / output.
    2nd time I just spent the week on the couch.
    Drink lot of fluids to help flush your system, I was also told protein helped ... Not sure ... Just rest and time seemed o help me. If breathing becomes hard go o the hospital.
    i have polycystic ovaries so yep on the cysts ... But they won't ever go away ...
    hope you feel better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tell me your experience of OHSS

Thanks for your reply, perhaps I'll have some protein today and take it easy on the couch

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had mild OHSS for my last 2 cycles - interestingly i had more pain and more bloating with the 2nd cycle and got 5 less eggs (14) than my final cycle (19). I don't have polycystic ovaries, so like Meshell, not sure how much truth there is in that.

What i was told to do to help combat OHSS is to:

* Keep your bowels moving - Pear juice (in the tin) is great for that, but don't overdose on it, it's not pretty
    * Protein is good
    * Water, water, water.
    * If you find that you've become constipated, you may need to combat it from the other end with a glycerin suppository or using a microlax tube to help soften the stools lower down. It's no use using a laxative if all the moisture has been leeched from the lower bowel and it will just cause you more pain and pressure. Get yourself moving. Lots of salads and other stuff that wont' back you up.

I actually prepped a bit before my last EPU as i didn't want a repeat of my second cycle - i stayed away from starchy foods the week before EPU, upped my protein and water intake to 3L per day and made sure my bowels were moving well before - and i had no issues at all in that area - I was cramping from EPU onwards, and was bloated, but not as bad as last time. I had a surge of OHSS symptoms at 6dp5dt, but looking back now, that was an initial surge of HCG due to implantation.

I hope you're feeling better soon xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hydrolite/gastrolite from the chemist, better than water!

I found it hard to lay down flat when it was really bad, so I had to sleep in our recliner