+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Child Support TO BE OR NOT TO BE?

I would really embrace some opinions of the wiser in regards to claiming child support from a dad thats wants nothing to do with the child.
    My family is dead set agains me asking him for child support once the baby is born, but it is my right, and although he has done a runner perhaps this is one thing he should be allowed to run from.
    Im 30y.old and I will go back to work after maternity leave but regardless Im thinking about what to do.
    I have read if you DO NOT put the fathers name on the birth cert you cannot claim child support is this true?
    And yet the father if he choose to can come back into the childs life whenever he wants to?
    Any clarification on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

PlayNice is offline Saving the world one chocolate at a time
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no insight into the legal ramifications of naming the baby's father on the birth certificate, hopefully someone will be along shortly who has more information.

My only concern would be the potential impact on the child to have "father unknown" on their birth certificate. Personally I would want the truth, however difficult, to be on such an important document.

All the best with a difficult situation

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you do not put the name on the birth cert, no you cannot claim for child support.

However if you wish to claim benefits from centre link, you will need to apply for child support. To apply for child support you need to have a name on the birth certificate. So it's a catch 22 . Basically the gov doesn't want to support the child if there is a father to do so, at least if it can miminize it's payments to you it will.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's not YOUR right to claim child support it's the CHILD'S right to claim. Your family doesnt' and shouldn't have a say in what's right for YOUR child!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (04-05-2014),Maia  (16-12-2012),PlayNice  (15-12-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    If you do not put the name on the birth cert, no you cannot claim for child support.

However if you wish to claim benefits from centre link, you will need to apply for child support. To apply for child support you need to have a name on the birth certificate. So it's a catch 22 . Basically the gov doesn't want to support the child if there is a father to do so, at least if it can miminize it's payments to you it will.
    Really? I was on Centerlink payments before claiming child support through CSA...I got an extra payment for having an estimate done through CSA even though FOB and I decided to do a personal agreement on child support and didnt use the estimate.

OP, personally I wouldnt bother with someone who doesnt want to be in the childs life. I would let them know they are in or they are out for good and stick with whatever decision is made. If he didnt want to be a part of it then Id go it alone and write him out of our lives forever....but that is also a pride thing. Best wishes for whatever you decide

ETA: That was a genuine "really?". I had FOB on birth cert and we broke up when DS was 1, but I was able to get parenting payments before even thinking about claiming child support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When was this?

I applied for parenting payment when I had ds but originally did not have fob on birth cert. I was told I could not apply for centre link without applying for child support and I could not apply for this without fob name on birth cert. I really wish they would just make the same rules for everyone.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just over 7 years ago Lol
    I dont see why the father would factor into a parenting payment for a single parent??

Thanks
    Reviews
    hey there, when you say centrelink payments do you mean they contribute more if the father isn't around? Im reading posts about mums who claim child support from the dads but they don't pay anyway so is it even worth it... I will certainly need to make some calls I'm confused about the legalities of it all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i was given a time frame, i think 30 days or something to claim child support. they can and will cut your payment if you dont do it. that doesnt mean it will happen to everyone but it sure does happen. mine was cut twice. every parent should support a child anyway. if you dont want or need the money bank it for your child. 18 years and beyond is a long time to support your child with no help.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyfamily For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (15-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by darianiika View Post
    hey there, when you say centrelink payments do you mean they contribute more if the father isn't around? Im reading posts about mums who claim child support from the dads but they don't pay anyway so is it even worth it... I will certainly need to make some calls I'm confused about the legalities of it all
    CSA can debit the money from the fathers account on your behalf so the payment does get made, however that is only if you agree to go with whatever the estimate they come up with is. The first time I went for child support the estimate came back as a whopping $15 a fortnight, which didnt even cover nappues, so there was no point.

If I were you, Id give Centrelink a call (or go into one) and tell them your situation and find out directly from them what you are entitled to and how to go about it all.