+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How many toys are too many toys?

What I think is the right $ amount is directly relative to our income.

So if we earnt 50K combined I could imagine $100 would be a lot or too much, especially having several children.

However, we have a higher than average combined income, so have more to spare than some other people perhaps? But I certainly don't consider it excessive either. We have bought everyone annual passes for the zoo and our daughters will be her Xmas Pres, she has a Dora hooded towel, Dora doll with a bathing set so she can practice while I bath our newborn, Duplo set in a box and a Fisher Price doctors set.

I dont think any amount is 'right' or 'wrong', I'm sure every parent gets something they can afford that they know their child will smile about.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: How many toys are too many toys?

Quote Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
    I agree, its totally subjective.

I just wonder how other people determine how much is "just right" for their children
    Lol that is a point of difference in our house, dh & I have different ideas of what is right. He's minimalist (a bike, a tramp & that's it) while I like bits (dolls, Lego, dressups). I think he bites his tongue a bit when I shop heh heh. I don't go nuts, prob spent $200 on each of them this year. But between us they have plenty of stuff to play with... And they play with *everything* they have

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
    I was doing stocktake on the toys I've bought for our kids for Christmas and I wondered to myself how many people would view them as excessive..

They are getting two boxed gifts each from under the tree, plus Santa is bringing them each a bag of smaller toys, puzzles, dolls etc and one bigger present each, for example DS is 2 and he is getting a trike.

I tend to focus on making sure that they each get the same equivalent of gifts, and things they will actually excited about, as well enjoy and use.

What is the guiding pricipal for what your children get at Christmas? Is it budget? What they want? Practical items?

We're comfortable financially so I don't worry about the cost of the gifts so much as I keep any eye on when I think their eyes will get "glazy" and not caring about what they are opening because there are so many toys, if that makes sense.

Do you think there is a dollar figure that is too much or too little? (ie. Is $20 too little or $500per child too much?) Or is there a number of presents in a certain scale you decide to get your kids?

Christmas is a big deal in our family, its anticipated months in advanced, the day is planned with careful detail and presents are a part of that - especially for the kids. I probably give my kids a similar quantity of toys that I received as a child.

I'm interested to hear other hubber's thoughts.

What is the appropriate number/cost of gifts for your kids?

How do you determine you will buy something else, or that you have too much?
    Between Santa and dh&I, dd (22 months) is getting 7 gifts. An electric quad, 3 little people things, vacuum, colouring book and underwear(we're starting tt and I'm hoping they will gey her excited). Grand total is $160.

Cost wasn't a factor, I chose things that I think she will like and won't get played with for a week then forgotten about. I also made sure to leave enough toys available for family to get her, otherwise she would get way more than is really necessary (family always asks what we want them to get).

I think if you can't remember off the top of your head what you bought, then you probably got too much.

Thanks
    Reviews

We try to get everything on her list, but her list is never big or full of expensive things. It's just stuff she really wants that we probably wouldn't otherwise choose for her. This year on the list was a skateboard, mine craft game, goggles, a cd single and a couple of books she particularly wanted. In addition to this I chose for her a couple of board games, some new tops, a fancy new dress and petticoat for Xmas day and some hair accessories and jewellery from diva. I never add it up but estimate it to be a few hundred dollars every year, sometimes slightly more, sometimes slightly less.

We had one Xmas that was a complete blow out and we bought her way too much. She was overwhelmed and uninterested and we felt embarrassed and foolish ( the inlaws were there to witness ). We learned a big lesson and have really tried to be sensible from them on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I have probably bought too much this year, but I'm about to have baby #3 and hoping the novelty of the presents will help through the newborn phase.

My 4yo daughter is getting a bike, a baby doll, some littlest pet shop figurines, a house for the pets, a pram for her doll and a few lip gloss/nail polish/perfume as stocking fillers.

My 2yo son is getting a bike, a baby doll, a pram, a big tonka dump truck, some Thomas trains and a ball. He's getting bubbles and playdough for stocking fillers.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews

I went over board this year I just wrapped dd2's present and she had 26 and I still have to pick up 2 things
    IMO that's way too many, I have no idea how many dd1 has I'm wrapping hers later tonight

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by bunkx View Post
    I went over board this year I just wrapped dd2's present and she had 26 and I still have to pick up 2 things
    IMO that's way too many, I have no idea how many dd1 has I'm wrapping hers later tonight
    Wow. Can I be your daughter? Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by bunkx View Post
    If you think it's too many, you could always pack some away for their birthdays
    Don't beat yourself up over it though, you know better for next year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I think is very subjective to each persons situation. We are a family that do a mix of needs and wants. So some toys but also new cloths personalised drink bottle, merino sleeping bag. I've found it really hard this year not to go over board I keep seeing things that I think DS would like but I have to have some self control especially because he is only 19 months old.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    If you think it's too many, you could always pack some away for their birthdays
    Don't beat yourself up over it though, you know better for next year.
    I might take a few things out to donate